Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Tile and Stone

Share |

HELP!! NEW Control Board & Same Problem!!

I am having a frustrating problem. I just replaced the control board on my Goodman gmp075-04 after troubleshooting it and it was recommended to me that I change it, and I have the same problem now. When I turn up the thermostat, the heating element heats up, no gas is released, then it shuts off and repeats. There is no power to the gas valve when the igniter comes on. There is no Flashing of the status LED's. Please let me know what you think. Also the unit seems to work fine when it wants to. ie. when it is cold, last night it got to 50 degrees in the house, I put the thermostat at 75 and it came on, only until it got to 60 degrees, then the gas shut off again and the igniter started cycling. ???
Steve72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM   #2

The spill switches on that furnace are wired in series with the gas valve. If a spill switch is defective everything will work up until the gas valve opening. A tripped or defective swtch will stop the 24 volts from reaching the gas valve. Check across the spill switches when the valve should be opening and see what the voltage is. You can also temporarily bypass the switches to help diagnose this problem but do not operate unattended with any safeties bypassed.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Tile and Stone

What are, and how do the spill switches work? I went to test them and it is working fine now, probably until tonight at midnight.
Steve72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #4

There are two wires on the gas valve. One wire is grounded to the furnace, this is the neutral or common. The other wire, I believe it is purple, will be connected to a spill switch. This is a series circuit from the gas valve through the spill switches, (should be 3 or 4 switches around the burner box) through the molex plug and back to the circuit board. I would suspect one of these switches is faulty.
Could also be a bad wiring connection at the molex plug.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote