Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Help Needed - Program Honeywell Prestige Thermostat

I bought a Honeywell Prestige thermostat with remote outdoor sensor. However the installer's manual is pretty skimpy with respect to menu description and settings.

I want to setup my 2H/1C HP system (w/strip BU) to minimize energy use and maximize equipment lifetime even if some comfort get's sacrificed.

A lot of the options are obvious but here are some questions:
  • Code 220 -Compressor cycle rate. Default is 3. Does this simply determine the max. number of times the HP can come on per hour. I'm think of changing this to 2 to reduce number of cycles. Is the tradeoff greater temp swings between cycles? If I set this too low would it trigger aux. heat?
  • Code 350 - Compressor lockout. I'm going to choose 25 degrees. I don't see <25 temps too often and below that I'd rather just use 100% strip heating. (save wear on HP??)
  • Code 360 - Aux. lockout. I'm planning to start with 45 degrees. My HP will perform fine above these temps even if recovery takes longer by not using strip heating. Anything I'm missing?
  • Is there anything else in Setup that I should change from factory default? (other then basic configuration like date, time, type of system)
Background: Rheem 4T RPNE/RSHA w/strip heating, single stage, no zoning, NW Oregon, no add on dehum/no humid eqipment.

Thanks

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,944

Leave the CPH at 3. 2 can cause a lot of temp swing.

Locking out the compressor at 25 will still use far more electric. Even if it only goes below 25 a couple days out of the year.
Doesn't really save wear and tear on the compressor. Since at that temp. The compressor should be just about running continuous, and that is what it is designed for.

I'd set the aux lock out lower. Maybe to 35, and see if it can handle the load at that temp. if so, then might even set it to 30.
The lower you can set that, and still heat your house, the more money you save.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Leave the CPH at 3. 2 can cause a lot of temp swing.

Locking out the compressor at 25 will still use far more electric. Even if it only goes below 25 a couple days out of the year.
Doesn't really save wear and tear on the compressor. Since at that temp. The compressor should be just about running continuous, and that is what it is designed for.

I'd set the aux lock out lower. Maybe to 35, and see if it can handle the load at that temp. if so, then might even set it to 30.
The lower you can set that, and still heat your house, the more money you save.

Thanks Beenthere! That's exactly the type of info I was looking for.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote