Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

help with My Ruud

Hello
OUr furnace was working good now all of a sudden it's decided to stop we replaced the thermostat you can hear the blower come on but all it does is blow out cold air I am guessing that the burners are not lighting.It doesn't have a pilot light it has some kind of ignition system.Any ideas would be welcomed seeing how we can't reach our landlord and its the weekend.
Thanks Lorrie

nursemaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:51 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

help with My Ruud

Hi nursemaid

I will need to know some particulars, when you replaced thermostat, did the new one wire exactly like the old one? If it did not some of the replacement ones have terminals marked RC & RH, if this be so in your new thermostat you will need to make sure they are tied together for thermostat to operate properly. If they are tied together and it does not work, some thermostats have a switch inside them that says gas or electric. You will need to switch it to gas mode. The other thing it could be is your furnace is a hot surface ignition, to verify this shut power off to furnace or unplug it whatever you have available. Look for a piece that is shaped like an M, look for a white powdery substance on the M part. If you see this you will need to replace ignitor. When replacing ignitor DO NOT TOUCH THE M PART, the oil on your fingers will damage it, you will also need to make sure it is not touching any metal after you are done changing it. Once you have verified it is in properly, plug your furnace back in or turn the power back on. Set your thermostat for heat and make sure it operates properly.

Good luck, let me know if I can help further.
Rusty

#CARRIERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:33 AM   #3

help with My Ruud

she did say ignition system. so its more likely that its spark.

if so, when you hear the blower come on, and can see where the "pilot" is. can you hear it trying to spark? if not, you can try to pull it out and clean it with some sandpaper. i dont care what anyone says, i use sandpaper LOL
Justin1635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 12:40 AM   #4

help with My Ruud

when we replaced the thermostat the old one used 4 wires we only used 3 of them to hook up the new one red on the left side and green and yellow on the right,didn't know what to do with the white so I didn't hook it up.It's doing the samething it did when we had the old thermostat.I will look in the morning for the M shaped thing.Also there is no letters on the new thermostat and there is no switch from gas to elevtric I bought a cheapy till we figured out what the problem was we finally got ahold of the landlord and he said he couldn't find anyone to come out till Monday I am guessing he is cheaper then the thermostat I bought and didn't want to pay a few extra dollars for someone to come out on the weekend. Thank you for your responce. Lorrie
Old 11-05-2006, 10:03 AM   #5

help with My Ruud

OK i looked and found the M shaped thing its screwed in and the M shape is pointed down so its angled outside of one of the holes in the back there is no white stuff on it, it's got black stuff on it.I put the old thermostat back on and it still doesn't work you can hear the fan, blower or whatever you want to call it come on but you don't hear the burners fire.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

help with My Ruud

Hi nursemaid

The reason you do not have heat is because the white wire is the one that sends the heat call to the furnace. You will need to find the terminal on your thermostat marked with a W. Attach the white wire to this terminal. Your heat should function ok after that. Let me know if I can help you anymore. I also noticed that justin1635 was giving some advice to use sandpaper for what would appear to be the flame sensor. I have warned against this in other replies. Apparently he does not know or has not been a service man for very long. Sandpaper leaves a silica dust that when heated turns to glass, its tough to ground through a insulator. So please if you clean flame sensor, do it only with a wire brush.

Rusty

Last edited by #CARRIERMAN; 11-05-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:30 PM   #7

help with My Ruud

The Landlord finally got someone out here after I told him no heat no rent,lol he said it was some heat induceing fan or something like that but being Sunday he can't get the part till tomorrow thank you for trying to help me.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #8
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

help with My Ruud

Hi nursemaid

Glad you are getting taken care of. Thanks for letting us know. If there is anything we can help with in the future. I bet one of us will try, hav a safe and warm winter.

Rusty