DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   HVAC (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/)
-   -   Help me replace a cap (http://www.diychatroom.com/f17/help-me-replace-cap-76925/)

mburgess44 07-23-2010 06:35 PM

Help me replace a cap
 
My outside fan unit isn't blowing and after some research would like to try and replace the capacitor.

I spoke with one of the HVAC guys at work and he gave me two oval caps. One is 5uf and the other 7.5uf.

I removed the panel and my cap is rounded with 3 individual prongs instead of oval with 2 and it is 5uf. He told me that I could use the oval and just keep both...

I can't afford a tech to come out and look at it so here we are...

Which wires go where and can I keep both?

beenthere 07-23-2010 06:54 PM

Pull the wire that is on the F terminal off, and put it on the new cap.
Then run a jumper from the C terminal of the dual cap. To the opposite terminal of the new single cap.

mburgess44 07-23-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 474234)
Pull the wire that is on the F terminal off, and put it on the new cap.
Then run a jumper from the C terminal of the dual cap. To the opposite terminal of the new single cap.

On the new cap each prong has 4 sides.. does it matter which one I plug it up to?

So say my old round cap I pull the brown cord from B(f) and put it on A of the new cap. I then go from the new cap B to the old cap B?

I hope that made that clear.. sorry...


A B
[] [] new cap


A B(f) C old cap

mburgess44 07-23-2010 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This might make more sense...



F cable is removed from the round cap and put on the oval cap -- any prong. Jumper goes from other prong on oval to old prong on round cap

beenthere 07-23-2010 08:19 PM

Close.
The "F" cable gets put to new cap.

Then a jumper is ran from the C terminal of the old cap. To the opposite terminal on the new cap.

mburgess44 07-23-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 474269)
Close.
The "F" cable gets put to new cap.

Then a jumper is ran from the C terminal of the old cap. To the opposite terminal on the new cap.

Okay,

F cable is taken off the old cap and put on the new.... got that

A jumper needs to go from the old cap C terminal to the new cap opposite terminal of where the F cable went.

Here is my question.... isn't a cable already on the C terminal of the old cap? if I connect a jump to the terminal where does the old cable I remove go to>?

beenthere 07-23-2010 08:42 PM

You don't remove any cable from the C terminal of the old cap. It should have an open spade left on it, for a jumper.

If it doesn't. then you run a wire from the contactor terminal that has the wire that runs to the old caps C terminal.

mburgess44 07-24-2010 03:42 PM

Thanks for your help. I added the new cap today but it still didn't work... I guess I'll call the HVAC guy...

The outside unit is just buzzing...

Marty S. 07-24-2010 04:10 PM

Look on the copper lines inside the AC for a small plastic cylinder with two wires coming from it. If it has a buttom on top push it. Fan went out would have tripped the high pressure switch, the cylinder, which needs to be reset.

mburgess44 07-24-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty S. (Post 474657)
Look on the copper lines inside the AC for a small plastic cylinder with two wires coming from it. If it has a buttom on top push it. Fan went out would have tripped the high pressure switch, the cylinder, which needs to be reset.

Is it inside the same section where my cap is? If so, the only plastic piece I see if the one where my inside wires go in and the cap is connected to prongs... no button there..

beenthere 07-24-2010 04:36 PM

What brand and model number is your unit.

Marty S. 07-24-2010 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mburgess44 (Post 474670)
Is it inside the same section where my cap is? If so, the only plastic piece I see if the one where my inside wires go in and the cap is connected to prongs... no button there..

google "manual reset high pressure switch" for pictures

mburgess44 07-24-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beenthere (Post 474675)
What brand and model number is your unit.

It's a Goodman 13 seer... I'll check on the model when the sun goes down. I've been stung by bee's twice today... ouch..

mburgess44 07-24-2010 05:49 PM

Goodman GSH13

mburgess44 07-26-2010 09:45 AM

I took the top off and can't seem to find it near the condenser either... is it possible that it doesn't have a high pressure switch?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved