HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F Leaking Water - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water

Hi - I'm trying to troubleshoot this and can't figure out where the water is coming from.

Initially, when this first happened, I thought it was a clogged humidifier filter. I've since changed the filter and cleaned out the casing and it is still leaking. I've poured water into tube where the excess water from the humidifier will drain out too, and it clear. No blockage. It drains into the floor.

I've also poured water into the A-coil pan and that too seem to drain ok (but I cannot be 100% sure) but there seem to be residual water in there that dries out (if I don't use the humidifier) after a couple of days.

But each time I turn on the humidifier, it'll drip water. It drips onto the blower motor housing, and also on the outside where the air filter is. I guess it is seeping through the seams. I've removed the 2 panels covering the furnace, as well as looked through the cutout where the humidifier is mounted at the A-coil and drip pan, but I can't figure out where the leak is coming from.

On the right side of the furnace (airfilter is on the left), I see a plastic box that seem to collect water. At the bottom, there's small rubber cap. I've removed this and drain the water out as well. I've also poured water into the tube where this plastic box drains and there appears to be no clogs.

Where do I go from here? Thanks.

I've read this thread but I'm not sure which small black hose is mentioned there.

HELP- Lennox Elite Series Furnace # M/N 90UGFA3-75-5

Advertisement

hamproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 826

Post some pics of the humidifier and where it attaches to the furnace. That # is for a evaporator coil.

Advertisement

yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

If your humidifier has a plastic line inside to water the pad check that for cracks.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. I've left the humidifier cover off and watch the water flow from the top of casing to the top of the filter which eventually goes into the channels of the filter frame. So, there shouldn't be a drip there. I'll turn it on again and watch it to see if it ever overflows, but I doubt it since this is a new filter.

Any other ideas?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #5

Here's the makeup of humidifier and HVAC.

Photo 1: Humidifier with cover off. New filter just put in.

Photo 2: Drain lines

Photo 3: No blockage. Water just flows out from the outlet

Photo 4: No blockage here either. I pour water down the tube and it drains properly

Photo 5: Can see some water spots here. I don't think it is coming out from the tube with the white end cap. Rather, it is seeping through the bottom metal seams.

Photo 6: What it looks like inside (what's the 2 small black hose for??)

Other than the air filter area being wet (photo 5), the floor underneath is wet as well. But it is not coming from the left of the air filter area. I put a pan underneath the air filter area, and it is not accumulating any water. So, the water is coming from underneath the furnace area I suspect.

Also, the 2 black hoses in photo 6, the one further out just seem to vent out to. I can see where it comes out on the left side panel (in photo 5). The inner out, I cannot see where it is coming out as it is covered by the panel. I removed the inner one (the one that connects to the big black rubber tube) and some water drain out. Not sure the purpose of these 2 tubes and why one of the outlet is covered by the panel inside the casing by the airfilter.
Attached Thumbnails
HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2161.jpg   HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2162.jpg   HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2163.jpg   HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2164.jpg   HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2165.jpg  

HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2167.jpg  

Last edited by hamproof; 01-06-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 AM   #6

This is the other side. 2 black hoses here as well. But at least this one connects to a black outer collection box. There's water in the box. I poured water into the white pvc piping and it drains properly as well. At the lower right side of the box, there's a rubber end cap which I can removed. When I remove it, water drains out.

Back to the left side where the 2 black hoses are, when I removed the inner one, I used a flex metal wire trying to push thru (gently) and see where it comes out on the airfilter side, but I cannot do it. It appears to be in penetrable and I didn't want to force it for fear it might rip something.

Similarly, on the outside, I try to use a flex metal wire to poke through, but can't either. So, water is never meant to exit from here??
Attached Thumbnails
HELP: Lennox C33-36C-2F leaking water-img_2168.jpg  

Last edited by hamproof; 01-06-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:09 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,582

The black troft that sits on top of the pad. Does it look like it has sand/grit in it?
If not. Then its not letting an equal amount of water flow across the pad, and is causing water to overflow the pad.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:20 AM   #8

It did had a bunch. But I clean it up as much as I could. I wanted a buy a whole new casing including the fiter, but couldn't find one.

I'll try to clean it up even more and see if it solves the issue. I think I can even run the furnace and humidifier w/ the humidifier cover off and watch if any water flows out or not. I've watch it for about 5 mins before covering it up and it appears to be ok.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Those black hoses are the drain lines for your furnace heat exchanger and the black box on the other side is a trap. Don't be poking wires in there! If you want to check them take the hose clamp off and blow through them.

The first post indicated the water problem goes away when the humidifier is turned off. If that is correct then it's not a furnace condensate problem. You shouldn't get water in the coil drain pan from the humidifier. Pour a cup or two of bleach down the bottom of the humidifier to kill the slime mold that builds up in the drain line. I'd move the humidifier to the return so next time it backs up the water cant run inside the furnace costing you big $ for a motor and circuit board.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #10
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamproof View Post
It did had a bunch. But I clean it up as much as I could. I wanted a buy a whole new casing including the fiter, but couldn't find one.
If you scraped if off. You need a new troft.

Also. Where does that drain run to? If its restricted. then with the humidifier going into the A/C drain line. The air pressure could be interfering with the water draining out of the humidifier.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #11

beenthere -- I cleaned it by soaking in vinegar and using a toothbrush. In the second photo, you can see the humidifier drain pipe and the A-coil collector pan drain are connected as such and drain into the floor drain.

marty s -- In the first photo, the humidifier is mounted on the furnace side, but there's also a vent duct that connects it to the return side. Is this common? What's the purpose?

This was a new condo and we've lived here since 2004. Last Nov 2009 was when this issue started. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
An old Tradesmen

That troft is NEVER suppose to be scrubbed clean.

Did you check the trap in the drain line for the A/C and humidifier.

Thats a bypass humidifier. The pipe that runs to the return is the bypass. Thats how air flows through it.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:42 AM   #13

beenthere - I'll see if I can find another troft at a specialty store. By trap at the drain line, you mean the pvc piping that ends at the floor? In the 2nd photo, the pvc line for the humidifier and heater connects and terminates at the floor (into a drain hole).

Appreciate the help.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #14

Darn, just read the Lennox WB2-17 manual online and realized what "beenthere" is saying. I guess those deposit which I thought were mineral deposit from the water, were part of the design. The Lennox manual did say it is ok to clean from the "V" channels which I did. But according to the manual, one can remedy the situation by putting a few drops of liquid soap in the tray.

http://www.ontimemall.com/manuals/lennoxWB2humid.pdf

I'll give that a try and see if it improves the situation while I look for a replacement.

Is there a way I can be certain this is the issue before buying the replacement part? I guess they call it a water distribution tray and it cost ~$27 shipped.

Last edited by hamproof; 01-06-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
An old Tradesmen

Pic 5 has shows the trap.

Probably have to order the troft from Aprailaire.

Advertisement