DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help! Just changed my Fan Controler (ICM 275) now system "false starts" when cooling

9K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TKABOLY 
#1 · (Edited)
Help! Just changed my Fan Controler (ICM 275) now system "false starts" when cooling

A/C Question: Just replaced Fan Control Unit and now the Blower false starts every time the Cooling goes on

I had an HH84AA009 in my carrier air handler. This air handler does both cooling and heating. A few days ago, the blower stopped turning off and remained constantly in the "on" position (even after moving the switches on the thermostat to "off" and Auto)

When I'd power off my system and open the unit, If I tapped the relay with a screw driver the fan would turnitself off, however once it went on again it wouldn't turn off.

I replaced the unit with a new ICM275. I replaced wire for wire one at a time, so I am pretty sure that I did it correctly.

Now, the fan works well, however when you put the unit into cooling mode, the blower will go on, and then as soon as the cooling kicks in, the unit kind of "resets" the blower turns off and then tries many consecutive "false starts"

Have I done anything wrong?

Is this newer controler board (with new kind of relays) different and therefore I need to change the wire connections

The new replacement board is different than the original one. The old one has the big old style relays while the new one has the newer relays. This new Board (ICM275) is the currently availible replacement for many legacy Carrier boards including the HH84AA009 (which is the one I had). The board has the same form factor and all of the connection terminals are labeled exactly the same as in the old board. As mentioned before, I connected the wires from the old to the new one at a time to make sure I got them right.....

There is a delay feature that can be adjusted by moving a potentiometer dial.

Maybe somewhere out there knows if these newer boards (that use SPST-NO blower relay, SPDT blower speed relay and SPST-NO relay for humidifier) require any wiring changes from the old boards (that use SPST-NC or DPST-NC heating fan relay and DPDT cooling fan relay 2f)

THe board is made by ICM controls and the schematics are on the icm site.

UPDATE!, it seems that when I set the blower settings at the stat to "on" instead of "auto" both the cooling and blower work. When I change the setting to auto, I get the problems.

this is a link to what the old board looks like:

this is a link to how the new one is wired:

See less See more
#4 ·
Does the new board have a Carrier part # on it? If not I would contact Carrier and be sure it is an exact replacement board. The chips on those boards tell the unit how to operate. Manufacturers often have different contractors program their boards to operate the unit the way they want. May not be what your problem is,but I would check to be sure.

#5 ·
need Help for more explanation thank you

:thumbup:[ It is Jan 2011, i have the same problem as you have found. A tech came and installed the new board as yours and found same problem on AC side, and on heat side was okay until about 10 minutes of heat and the heat side started resetting as you describe. I cannot tell from your response, what is "stat" refer to as being the solution ? YOu wrote if you set the stat to ON instead of AUTO, both cool and heat blower works and doesnt reset. What is STat ? Is this the thermostat on the wall ?
If so, how can we always set the FAN on ON, it will always be ON. Are you saying with these new boards one must set the thermostat to ON , instead of AUTO, and manually turn off and on the heat or cool ?

Also, the wiring photos are great, but what is connected to the EAC1 and EAC2 ? I have two thin signal lines from the wall, do those go to EAC1 and 2 or do I need to find two thick power and GND like your photo to connect to EAC1/2 ? I dont have ?

quote=redmachodevil;147111]A/C Question: Just replaced Fan Control Unit and now the Blower false starts every time the Cooling goes on

I had an HH84AA009 in my carrier air handler. This air handler does both cooling and heating. A few days ago, the blower stopped turning off and remained constantly in the "on" position (even after moving the switches on the thermostat to "off" and Auto)

When I'd power off my system and open the unit, If I tapped the relay with a screw driver the fan would turnitself off, however once it went on again it wouldn't turn off.

I replaced the unit with a new ICM275. I replaced wire for wire one at a time, so I am pretty sure that I did it correctly.

Now, the fan works well, however when you put the unit into cooling mode, the blower will go on, and then as soon as the cooling kicks in, the unit kind of "resets" the blower turns off and then tries many consecutive "false starts"

Have I done anything wrong?

Is this newer controler board (with new kind of relays) different and therefore I need to change the wire connections

The new replacement board is different than the original one. The old one has the big old style relays while the new one has the newer relays. This new Board (ICM275) is the currently availible replacement for many legacy Carrier boards including the HH84AA009 (which is the one I had). The board has the same form factor and all of the connection terminals are labeled exactly the same as in the old board. As mentioned before, I connected the wires from the old to the new one at a time to make sure I got them right.....

There is a delay feature that can be adjusted by moving a potentiometer dial.

Maybe somewhere out there knows if these newer boards (that use SPST-NO blower relay, SPDT blower speed relay and SPST-NO relay for humidifier) require any wiring changes from the old boards (that use SPST-NC or DPST-NC heating fan relay and DPDT cooling fan relay 2f)

THe board is made by ICM controls and the schematics are on the icm site.

UPDATE!, it seems that when I set the blower settings at the stat to "on" instead of "auto" both the cooling and blower work. When I change the setting to auto, I get the problems.

this is a link to what the old board looks like:

this is a link to how the new one is wired:

[/quote]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.