Help, It's COLD And Furnace Isn't Working - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help, It's COLD and furnace isn't working

I'm new here and dont know what I'm doing. Ive got a Concord 80 Furnace. I know there is gas getting to it because the hot water heater is next to it on the same line and its getting gas. The valve is open. This is also the first time weve turned on the heat and only cold air is coming out of the vents. I took the top door panel off and there is no flame. Does this mean that the pilot light just went out some time in the last year and can I just light it. That leads me to the second question how do I light this thing if thats all I need to do. Getting to 32 tonight and this is our only source of heat.Thanks

Advertisement

chadmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I took the liberty of moving this question over to the HVAC section.
You'll get much speedier replies here.

DM

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #3

First thing check your RED cover emergency switch top of stairs or outside the room the furnace is within set STAT FOR heat ....standing pilot we'll go with it..shut the service switch off on the side of the furnace.turn the dial on the gas valve within the furnace to pilot,light a strip of wood or spagetti(reach in) to where that silver thin tube ends on the pilot assembly and press the valve down in the pilot position. pilot will "light up" keep holding the valve dial down IN PILOT count to 30 then release...pilot will stay lit turn the gas valve to ON step back and toggle up sevice switch there on the side of the furnace....and...... results get back
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,604

this furnace should hot surface ignitor and draft inducer? get me picture of furnace with door off...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmemphis View Post
I'm new here and don't know what I'm doing. Ive got a Concord 80 Furnace. I know there is gas getting to it because the hot water heater is next to it on the same line and its getting gas. The valve is open. This is also the first time weve turned on the heat and only cold air is coming out of the vents. I took the top door panel off and there is no flame. Does this mean that the pilot light just went out some time in the last year and can I just light it. That leads me to the second question how do I light this thing if thats all I need to do. Getting to 32 tonight and this is our only source of heat.Thanks

Hi chad, I want to say that i spent a few days in Memphis earlier this year....did Graceland and downtown.....you have a beautiful city and some great food as well! I am gathering that you don't know much about your unit or what exact kind of heat you have, so in order to avoid giving you "bad" advise or leading you down the wrong path, if you could post a few pictures of your furnace with the doors off, we could help you much faster and much more accurately. would that be possible to do?
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #6

first thing that should be running in a heating call for is the induced draft motor mounted above the burner within the furnace then that silver round thing with the 2 wires going to it and the rubber tubeshould close to proof out air supplied and the ignition should start
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 346

I think the first thing we should do is warn the OP not to try to light his furnace! We need to see if by chance he has a standing pilot model but I doubt it.

Advertisement

sammy37 is offline   Reply With Quote