Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

Help installing Honeywell RTH8500

So I pulled out the old thermostat in my condo, which was a Honeywell T6015 something or the other dinosaur, to put in a new RTH8500. Well, there are only 2 wires! Neither of which are labled. I find the old manual for the previous thermostat and it says the wires are L1 and L2. L1 hooks up to "COM" in the old thermostat.

For the life of me I can't find out which holes to connect it into. I've tried a few combos already but with no luck. The HVAC is one of those that the building switches to heat in the winter and AC in the summer. So you basically get to control at what temp it turns on and off. Which holes do I connect L1 and L2?
The RTH8500 has the following letters
RC
R
W
Y
G
C
Y2
(L)
(E)
(AUX)
W2

Please help! Thanks.

Last edited by cloongoon; 03-06-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: added title words
cloongoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:48 PM   #2

any chance that was a T6051 you pulled,and are the wires your connecting anything but thin thermostat pair in a brown insulation cover.if the wires are thick like on a wall socket connection you need a line voltage stat.check out that model number you gave?

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
any chance that was a T6051 you pulled,and are the wires your connecting anything but thin thermostat pair in a brown insulation cover.if the wires are thick like on a wall socket connection you need a line voltage stat.check out that model number you gave?
T6051A1016. And yes they are thick wires. What is a line voltage stat? I'm a novice as you can tell. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:25 PM   #4

thats why this is a DIY site!no problem, but what you removed is a line voltage stat i 'am guessing,but that runs the fan on your system and whatever the building supplies(hot or chilled water)the fan on or off is the controlling factor.the thick wires are line voltag(115volts) that run the fan only and the NEW STAT is low voltage.you said you hooked it up and tried it might of killed the new stat with the wrong voltage into it....install the battery and tell me if the screen lights up "light green' in your hand not mounted.that stat can be used for your system but it will have to be isolated with a transformer, and an isolating relay to control those 2 thick wires to control the fan....the old stat was basically like a light switch that reacted to temperature when you set it.might have to get an electrican in to set the other stuff up if the stat isn't shot?line voltage stats are very crude and never advanced into what you bought to install but those extras have to be installed.

Last edited by biggles; 03-06-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:31 PM   #5

Quote:
thats why this is a DIY site!no problem, but what you removed is a line voltage stat i 'am guessing,but that runs the fan on your system and whatever the building supplies(hot or chilled water)the fan on or off is the contolling factor.the thick wires are line voltag(115volts) that run the fan only and the NEW STAT is low voltage.you said you hooked it up and tried it might of killed the new stat with the wrong voltage into it....install the battery and tell me if the screen lights up "light green' in your hand not mounted.that stat can be used for your system but it will have to be isolated with a transformer, and an isolating relay to contol those 2 thick wires to control the fan....the old stat was basically like a light switch that reacted to temperature when you set it.might have to get an electrican in to set the other stuff up if the stat isn't shot?
The new (thermo)stat works fine. I unhooked it from the wall and its working fine, green and responds.
The other things you said sound complicated. The building management offers to install thermostats but they aren't liscenced electricians. Is that something that I really can't do myself?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #6

did you notice that the FAN cycled when you moved the old stat up or down during either season...i'am just want to confirm it is controlling the fan which is line voltage.run past the building people what i said about isolating the fan control to use that digital stat(transformer/relay install)if they say no way call a local heating service company.they can do it with ease because that stat is very popular and they adapt those to many different systems ...as you need it there.you need a transformer anyway to power that stat R to C is 24 volts(1 pair of low voltage wires) constant with battery as back up.they will have to pull low voltage stat wires from the stat location to the unit,then add a TR and relay and set the stat up so you get fan on during the cooling season and the heating season"make sure they show you that working" timewise 2 hours work and parts(no road trips should hit you door with all he needs).if you call a heating company to get a price just tell them you have a Vision Pro Stat,and you want to run a fan controlled(old line voltage stat)setup.i still can't believe you connected the line wires to the vision pro and it didn't melt the screen...talk about lucky!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
did you notice that the FAN cycled when you moved the old stat up or down during either season...i'am just want to confirm it is controlling the fan which is line voltage.run past the building people what i said about isolating the fan control to use that digital stat(transformer/relay install)if they say no way call a local heating service company.they can do it with ease because that stat is very popular and they adapt those to many different systems ...as you need it there.you need a transformer anyway to power that stat R to C is 24 volts(1 pair of low voltage wires) constant with battery as back up.they will have to pull low voltage stat wires from the stat location to the unit,then add a TR and relay and set the stat up so you get fan on during the cooling season and the heating season"make sure they show you that working" timewise 2 hours work and parts(no road trips should hit you door with all he needs).if you call a heating company to get a price just tell them you have a Vision Pro Stat,and you want to run a fan controlled(old line voltage stat)setup.i still can't believe you connected the line wires to the vision pro and it didn't melt the screen...talk about lucky!
I just bought the place so haven't been here when the "AC" was on. But when i flight the switch from OFF to HEAT and turn the stat temp up for the heat, the fan turns on.
Thanks for the help.
I'll hit up the in house maintainance and see if they can do it.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #8

OK then the fan is the controlling point there.on that new stat they need to pull control stat wire to catch at least RC/RH,C..24V Y...COOL,W...HEAT good luck.