Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:10 AM   #1

Share |

help im sick of this ruud furnace

silhouette 11 ruud code 3 limit switch flames on runs good 5-6 minutes flames out then cycles back on flame on 5-6 minutes then cycles off cleaned both flame probes excellent constant blue flame changed vacum hose on limitswitch (old one cut short kinked at nipple) checked exhaust pipe its clear sucked on vacum hose to limit switch klik klik klik thats good poss cracked heat exchanger/ or dirty coil under the furnace/ heat from vents on floor 160 hot air while runnning any ideas

mike shea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

The switch with a hose, is NOT a limit switch. Its a pressure switch.

The limit switch is a temp limiting switch. Its a safety switch.

When is the last time you changed your air filter. or cleaned your A/C coil. Either or both may be restricting air flow.
Next thing is the blower may not be running fast enough due to bad capacitor, or bad blower motor.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:33 PM   #3

Overheating due to lack of air flow, 160 out of registers is WAY too hot.
Marty S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #4

air cleaners are clean 2 in unit 1 in hall, big blower rocks hard, started to take cover off for ac coil looks clean no heavy dust as i said the unit runs good but has allways cycled on off every 5-6 minutes of running till it reaches room temp normally set for 64-68 degrees , also register heat reads 120 out of kitchen air duct, code 3 every cycle shut down then start up, cant afford service call unemployed for xmass
Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike shea View Post
silhouette 11 ruud code 3 limit switch flames on runs good 5-6 minutes flames out then cycles back on flame on 5-6 minutes then cycles off cleaned both flame probes excellent constant blue flame changed vacum hose on limitswitch (old one cut short kinked at nipple) checked exhaust pipe its clear sucked on vacum hose to limit switch klik klik klik thats good poss cracked heat exchanger/ or dirty coil under the furnace/ heat from vents on floor 160 hot air while runnning any ideas

dood , I think I have this exact problem as you. I would get a light. Would flame for 10-15 min and then conk out, and take like a half hour to relight.

I just posted a thread on my situation. . .

Pump for a furnace question! PLEASE HELP! . VERY COLD LOL

Try what I accidently did . . I drained water out of some place and everything seems to be working. I will clean the hose out I believe tomrrow. Still unsure of my situation but its been running an hour strong! . Even shut it off and turn it back on easily starts.
dvandam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #6

heat out of registers is 120 not 160 my mistake air cleaners are fine big blower works strong lots of air ac coil i peeked in pryed cover back could see the fin radiator side was clean couldnt see the other side of coils , code 3 all day every day
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #7

ol tradesman u out there?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #8

dvandam what hose you unpluged where was it?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
An old Tradesmen

Its the bottom side of the coil that would be dirty.

See if you can get a temp reading right above the coil.
Put a meter across the limit switch. And see if it is opening.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #10

ol tradesman, i pulled apart the cover to the ac coil yeah that other side was pretty dirty with a lot of lint dust about 40 percent was pluged up with dust 30 percent so i cleaned it real nice (the ol lady woulda been proud) fired it up same darn problem ,so is the limit switch above the flame jet with 2 red wires or that probe thing that reads the temp in the box with the ac coil area with 2 red wires also how do you read set the meter also when the flames are rocking is that when you check the switch?
Old 12-12-2009, 04:32 AM   #11
An old Tradesmen

The one just under the coil should be your limit.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Hvac Pro

They get weak and lose their accuracy from having been tripped too many times. Need a new one. They are designed to be tripped only a few times, not used as an operating control.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #13

ruud limit switch is somewhere above the ac coil in the dusty coil box container below the burners? whats the probe called 2 red wires on the front above the burners called, also what is the real little switch 2 red wires 1 of the wires runs up to the probe thingamagiggy, andthis little baby switch sits right above the burner its round with a little button in between the 2 red wires? thanks pros
Old 12-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #14
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
andthis little baby switch sits right above the burner its round with a little button in between the 2 red wires? thanks pros
Thats a roll out switch. Manual reset.

Is your furnace a downflow?

Post pics of it with panels off.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #15
Senior Tech.

Quote:
air cleaners are clean 2 in unit 1 in hall, big blower rocks hard, started to take cover off for ac coil looks clean no heavy dust as i said the unit runs good but has allways cycled on off every 5-6 minutes of running till it reaches room temp normally set for 64-68 degrees , also register heat reads 120 out of kitchen air duct, code 3 every cycle shut down then start up, cant afford service call unemployed for xmass

What??

How many filters? Three, or 1 - 2 inch in furnace and one in hall? Are they pleated or fiberglass. At any rate, just one filter is all you need. If limit trips with pleated filters, use the cheap fiberglass. Too many filters will cause the limit to trip. The expensive pleated filters can cause limit trips.

Stop using all that slang if you want help. What does blower rocks hard mean? Good air flow?

How did you clean the A-coil? Are you sure it's clean.

Milk man is offline   Reply With Quote