Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Share |

Help with hvac return duct

I really need some serious help. I live in a townhouse. the basement ceiling is still opened, so I decided to inspected all the ducts that branches off the main supply. I realized that the contractor who build in the house did not install the duct properly. So right now, am going through some major duct work. I have a return air duct on the middle floor and in the hall way on the upper floor. My upper floor gets too cold during winter and too hot during summer. My current unit is 2tons and am in the process of upgrading it to 2.5tons or 3tons. Just to let y'all know, the living area of my town house in 1220sf. Not that big. Also, each room on the upper floor has two supplies going into them. That should be enough, rite, once I upgrade to a bigger unit? Okay, my major concern is the return air duct. I have on in the hall way upstairs. Can I use a 'Tee' duct on the existing return duct (located in the hallway), the run about 6ft duct work of return air to each room upstairs. I have access to my attic. So, if I split the return air to deliver to the two rooms and hallway, will that have an impact on the system. Also, how do I determine the size of the return duct for the rooms assuming this is possible.

gasbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:24 AM   #2

Don't upgrade your system before doing load calc ( Manual J ). For more info about duct you need to see Manual D. If you wanna do right.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

You will have severe humidity issues as well as non cooling capability as it is easier to cool dry air versus humid air and since your air won't ever get dry as your system will cycle too fast thus not dehumidifying the air, it will feel hot and sticky) if you go too big on a system and just from those figures alone, without any manual j aka heat loss/load analysis information which would really tell us what size system you need, your existing 2 ton system sounds to me already too big for 1200 sq feet of living space. 1.5 tons needed is what sticks out to me.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 06-19-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

Btw, I'm not a moderator but before they tell you I guess I could as I've seen it happen, try and keep all of your concerns in one thread. Your concerns will be answered.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote