Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help with Honeywell Thermostat

Hi, any help on the problem below would be appreciated.

I tried replacing my old thermostat with a Honewell RTH7600D programmable thermostat. I have it set to "cool" - but it seems to be blowing out hot air.

I've included a side by side of my old thermostat wiring (left) vs the new one (right). I've drawn lines to indicate how I corresponded the original wiring to the new one.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? For those familiar with my thermostat model (since its a popular one) my settings are:

170: 9 (I'm guessing based on the wires)
180: 1
240: 9

Thanks!

eminense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

When you turn it on for Cool , does your outside unit turn on? Do you have a heatpump system? Whats the model number of your air handler and outside unit?

Last edited by kilosos2; 04-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.
kilosos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

I have a feeling your settings are wrong on the thermostat. Like 0170 maybe needs to be set to 7. And 0190 should be set to 0. But won't be sure unless we know what type of system you have.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #4

Yes, the unit outside powers on, and yes, I believe there is a heatpump.

Okay...please pardon my ignorance here as I have the hvac knowledge of a grapefruit, so I dont know what the various components are called...

the outside unit is a tempstar (there are two of them), model N4H32AKA300.
there is another thing in my attic (with ducts hooked into it), model fsm4x2400a)

Is this the information you were looking for?

For what its worth, while the vents inside blow warm air, it feels like the unit outside is blowing cold air (I could be wrong, it could be just the cooling effect of the air getting blown out, but I'd imagine that it should be hot air getting exhausted, right?)
Old 04-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #5

It is a heatpump system.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...xNL2-Q&cad=rja

Thats the pdf file for your outside unit.

And http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...6377Sg&cad=rja

Is pdf file for indoor unit.

Probably your Reversing valve is not being energized by the tstat. When it energizes it switches it from heating to cooling mode (heat pump is a system that will heat up your home by running the A/C unit backwards, lol simple way to say it)

Check the settings of the thermostat. Try changing the 0170 setting to 7. And make sure 0190 is 0. It does seem like you wired it correctly. Make the changes with the AC in OFF mode. And then try turning it on and see what happens.

Last edited by kilosos2; 04-28-2012 at 06:30 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kilosos2 For This Useful Post:
eminense (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

That did the trick! Thank you very much for your help!
Old 04-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #7

Check back here again and post all the settings you selected on the thermostat if you want maybe one of the professionals to verify its all set correctly. Just to make sure!
Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Rewards Points: 1,022

170 = 7
180 = 1
190 = 0
240 = 3 ( trust me)
270 = 3 ( trust me)

you also need to add a jumper between AUX and E
eminense (05-10-2012), kilosos2 (04-29-2012)
Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvactech126 View Post
170 = 7
180 = 1
190 = 0
240 = 3 ( trust me)
270 = 3 ( trust me)

you also need to add a jumper between AUX and E

LOL see what I mean! I hope hvactech126 the OP comes back to the post to make the changes!
Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #10

Thank you both so much. And sorry for the delay - I don't always check the email that I registered this account to. I've made the changes suggested by hvactech126 - well, almost - I don't have all of those settings. Here is how it was set:

170 - 7
190 - 0
270 - 9

It did not give me the option for a 180 setting or a 240 setting, but I've gone ahead and changed "270" to 3. Is this normal not to have those settings? In addition, I have a jumper between R and Rc - when you say "add a jumper" between AUX and E, did you mean to move those jumpers or add another set in addition?

Finally - I've noticed something kinda wierd. One of my two thermostats seems to randomly set itself to "temporary hold" on about 50 degrees. I noticed this happen three times, and it appears to be a bit random. I don't ever use the temporary hold feature - it just kinda flips on by itself automatically. Any ideas why this could be happenning?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #11

Any additional thoughts/comments on my latest post above would be appreciated
Old 05-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminense View Post
Thank you both so much. And sorry for the delay - I don't always check the email that I registered this account to. I've made the changes suggested by hvactech126 - well, almost - I don't have all of those settings. Here is how it was set:

170 - 7
190 - 0
270 - 9

It did not give me the option for a 180 setting or a 240 setting, but I've gone ahead and changed "270" to 3. Is this normal not to have those settings? In addition, I have a jumper between R and Rc - when you say "add a jumper" between AUX and E, did you mean to move those jumpers or add another set in addition?

Finally - I've noticed something kinda wierd. One of my two thermostats seems to randomly set itself to "temporary hold" on about 50 degrees. I noticed this happen three times, and it appears to be a bit random. I don't ever use the temporary hold feature - it just kinda flips on by itself automatically. Any ideas why this could be happenning?

Thanks again for all of your help!
The setting 180 and 240. I am not sure why they don't show, but hopefully Beenthere or Hvactech126 can give you a comment on that. Are the other settings Hvactech126 mentioned set correctly?

The jumper between E and Aux means to connect E and Aux terminals together by a piece of wire. Use a small piece of thermostat wire.( you kinda like bridging them together, you connect one end of the wire to the E and the other end to the Aux terminal) Just as you see the R and Rc are jumpered , you do the same thing to the E and Aux terminal. Don't move the R and Rc jumper, leave it in it's place because you need that. I hope that's clear but if it's not , let us know.

The random hold maybe because of a program schedule running on the thermostat? Or maybe you got someone messing with your thermostat when you not looking!!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:08 PM   #13

Thanks, kilosos2 - yes, the other settings match the ones hvactech126 listed.

The odd thing about the random temperature hold is that I set all weekdays simultaneously on the same schedule, but it only seems to happen on some days at random times. I live alone, so there isn't anyone else messing with it. The Tstat upstairs is set identically but it doesn't have that problem...wondering if its a defective unit.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eminense View Post
Thanks, kilosos2 - yes, the other settings match the ones hvactech126 listed.

The odd thing about the random temperature hold is that I set all weekdays simultaneously on the same schedule, but it only seems to happen on some days at random times. I live alone, so there isn't anyone else messing with it. The Tstat upstairs is set identically but it doesn't have that problem...wondering if its a defective unit.
Call Honeywell and see if you can get a replacement under your current warranty.