Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Help***Heat only works in part of the house

I need some help. I have a Hot-water boiler with baseboard heating throughout my home. There is one thermostat controling the entire system. However, the boiler has a return manifold which has three pipes coming in. I believe that when the hot water leaves the boiler it gets broken down into 3 sections (i guess newer homes may have had 3 seperate zones instead of this) and returns back to the boiler the same way. The return manifold has a gate valve and a drain for each pipe entering it (see pic).

Also, the system does have a pipe hooked up that fills it up with water when it needs it.

Here is what I did. I moved the baseboard heating in my kitchen. So I drained the system, cut the pipes, piped in the new baseboards and filled up the system again.

After turning on the boiler and testing the heat, I learned that I don't get heat anywhere upstairs. The heat works perfectly fine on the lower level.

I am assuming that I have air stuck in the pipe (upstairs) somewhere and that is not allowing the hot-water to flow properly.

So far I have closed the 2 gate valves on the return manifold for the sections that heat fine and opened the gate valve on the return manifold for the section that isn't heating. I then open the drain valve on the section that isn't heating. The idea was for all the water and air in that section to fully drain out. Well, it didn't work. The heat upstairs still doesn't work.

So then I tried closing the 2 gate valves on the return manifold for the sections that heat fine and opened the gate valve on the return manifold for the section that isn't heating. I also opened the drain on the bottom of the boiler. At the same time I hooked a hose up to the drain for the section that isnt working and forced water through the entire system allowing it to drain out the bottom. This resolution didn't work either. The heat upstairs still doesn't work.

Now I am stuck. I am not sure what else I can do to get this resolved. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Help***Heat only works in part of the house-dsc00785.jpg   Help***Heat only works in part of the house-dsc00786.jpg   Help***Heat only works in part of the house-dsc00792.jpg   Help***Heat only works in part of the house-dsc00793.jpg   Help***Heat only works in part of the house-dsc00794.jpg  

Help***Heat only works in part of the house-dsc00802.jpg  

Joe1629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi Joe1629

Remove the front cover off of the baseboard heater. At one end will be a little screw in the middle of a spout looking thing. Turn the screw counter clockwise until you hear the air coming out. Leave the valve open until you a steady stream of water. Do this at each of the baseboards, this should fix your problem. Need any further help, let one of us know.

Good luck
Rusty

Old 11-06-2007, 07:35 PM   #3

Hi #Carrierman

Thanks for replying so quickly. I went around and check every baseboard and only found 2 vents. I did vent out the air in them until I got a steady stream of water. I still didn't get the heat to work upstairs. I waited a little while and tried to vent the baseboards again and more air came out. Again, I waited til I got a steady flow of water but I still didn't get the heat to work.

I am not sure what to do next. Any ideas?

Thanks again,
Joe
Old 11-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #4
I have gas!

I had a similar problem last year I couldn't bleed it enough to work. I ended up running water through the system for about 1/2 an hour. After that the problem went away.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Close the two gate valves for the sections that work. Put a hose on the boiler drain for the section that does not work. Now open up the drain and let the water run. You can open up the fill valve if it has an override, just watch the pressure gage try to keep it between 20 and 25 (when you're done flushing bring it back down to around 12). The drain on the boiler is for draining the system, nothing else.
If that doesn't work you need to install a purge system somewhere in the line.

Last edited by Marlin; 11-07-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 PM   #6

Hi Marlin,

You were saying in your post to "put a hose to the boiler drain for the section that does work" was that supposed to be on the section that doesn't work and if not, does it matter which section drain valve I use that works (I have two sections that are working)?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1629 View Post
Hi Marlin,

You were saying in your post to "put a hose to the boiler drain for the section that does work" was that supposed to be on the section that doesn't work and if not, does it matter which section drain valve I use that works (I have two sections that are working)?

Thanks,
Joe
Put the hose on the zone that does not work. Sorry.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #8

Thanks for all the info. I tried to do what you said Marlin and it didn't seem to work. Then I figured that maybe one of the gate valves isn't shutting fully or something which was causing me to get a different result. So I wanted to do a test. I shut all the gate valves off and then open up the drains. My thought was that if all the gate valves were shut and the drains were open that no water (or little) should come out. Well, when doing this, I had a steady stream of water coming out one of the drains. I figured that one of the gate valves was def not closing fully. So I put everything back to normal and when I did that the water flow was working and the heat is working upstairs now. I am not sure what I did or why it works but I know it works. Thanks again for all the info and help.

Joe