Help! Hazardous Chimney! Is B-vent Sufficient For Roof Venting? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Hazardous chimney! is b-vent sufficient for roof venting?

Hello,

I'm new on this forum and I seek some help for my brick chimney that is kinda damaged (see the pics below), to say the least.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1117996...47132068738930

https://picasaweb.google.com/1117996...47133692262722

My immediate concern is that the chimney falls down and injures someone

There is a non-functional brick/mortar structure above the roof line and in the attic. Inside this structure, there is a b-vent that is coming from the 2 gas space heaters all the way above the roof line.

My idea is to remove the bricks and leave the b-vent outside the roof only by installing plywood and shingle in place of the larger hole and install a collar and new flashing around the b-vent above roof line.

Does someone know if it's the right way to proceed and give me some suggestions? Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for helping if you know about that!

Advertisement

Timcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Yikes, your chimney is in rough shape! Looks like you're going about it in the right way. Just be sure to observe all clearances from combustibles, eg. don't put the plywood or shingles right up against the b-vent, leave at least an inch. Also, your vent must extend a minimum distance above your roof, depending on the pitch.

Advertisement

hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your help, hvac benny!

I need to do a bit of homework on the clearance then to make sure I get it right. I'm going to read the Ontario building code.

For the distance, I know it must be 2' over the ridge of the roof: I have to double-check if it's currently the case.
Timcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

I didn't notice that you're from Canada also, I'm in Vancouver. You are correct about the two feet; that info can be found in the Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code (B149.1). I'd also check whatever regulations Ontario uses that may supersede the B149.1. I don't think you'll have any that do, but you never know with all the snow you poor bastards get .
hvac benny is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
b-vent , brick chimney , natural gas , roof venting , venting