Help..Emergency Heat Running All The Time - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help..Emergency Heat Running All the Time

Please help. I have 2 seperate units in my house. I have one upstairs and one downstairs. About a week ago my heat downstairs swtiched over to emergency heat. The until upstairs stayed on the regular heat setting. I thought at first that it might be that the filters needed changed. So I changed them which they really did need. I was hoping after this that the problem might be solved but it is not. A few days after this I turned the heat off downstairs in fear of a high electric bill. Well, now the emergency heat has switched on upstairs as well . Which I guess can be excepted since the unit is off downstairs. Not really sure what to do know. It has been really cold outside for the last few days but it it hasn't been that cold. I would expect for the EH to come on if the weather was extremely cold. Not to mention, that the when the heat was working fine a few weeks ago when the temperture waas much lower. A few hours ago I looked at the thermostat and the heat was working fine but now it is back on emergency heat. Please help. It is too cold to have the heat off and I am afraid that leaving it on with emergency heat will really cost me. If anyone knows what might be the problem please let me know. By the way the unit is pretty new only about 3 years old.

Thanks in Advance,

Katie

Advertisement

KatieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

That is going to be difficult to diag. and repair over the internet. Are you having a problem of no heat? Is the house colder than normal? Do you have a HP? What kind of t-stat is it? What is the actual temp outside when E-heat comes on?

Advertisement

chard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Rewards Points: 504

Something you might try is to lower the stat setting to 2 deg above room temp and see if the Aux/EMR heat goes off.

Most of the time the stat is set up to turn on 1st stage heat at 2 deg and 2nd stage heat at 4 deg
It could be as simple as the stat needs to be reconfigured if the presets have changed.
Have you replaced the batteries lately? Sometime doing this will reset the stats - not all.

1st stage = heat pump
2nd stage = aux heat
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

katieb, you need to check the outside unit. look to see if it is iced up or if it working. it may be low on charge or something. if it is a hp. the big line with the black insu. on it should be hot when the unit is running. there are a few things it could be but you dont want to let your comp. keep running if its not working right. they are not cheap to replace.when the stat is calling for heat look at the outdoor unit . is it running at all. then check the big line.(it will be hot if working right so be carefull)
astottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,466

You mean the AUX heat is coming on.

Could be dirty indoor coils.
Could be dirty outdoor coils.
Could be several other things.
A tech on site can diagnose it better.

What temps are you having outside when the auz heat is also coming o n.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote