Help! Dec 24th And No Heat - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help! Dec 24th and no heat

I am hoping I can get an anwer to my problem because I know some of the details to how I got where I am. I have a Rheem furnace (if memory serves me correctly) and the other day, after running this thing for weeks, it quit working. My wife called and said the furnace wont come on..no sound of the fan/blower...I told her I had no clue since I was at work, and would come home and take a look. (we have had bad experiences with guys coming over and trying to sell my wife a new heater, or bidding big money. I wish we knew someone we could trust.

When I came home, I checked a fuse box (one of those round fuses that threads in to the holder) and it was blown. Well, there was another fuse sitting on top of the furnace, and I looked at it, and though "why is the one that blew 8 amps, and this one 15, that I am about to put in the holder to replace it? I probably shouldn't do it"...well, I did. The heater ran fine for one week, running pretty long shifts, but never at night. I came home this morning from the store, and smelled a weird, plasticy, smokey odor, and was informed the heater conked out, and that the smell was coming from the furnace.

As I feared, the fuse did not blow, but apparently something in the furnace did...any ideas so I can act like I know what I am talking about with the repair person?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Advertisement

orsondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,686

Other then, something bunrt out.
Could be one or more of a couple things.

Problem with acting like you know what your talking about.
Is we can tell its an act.

Don't act, just let them know that you looking for the cheap solution.

Could be as simple as a transformer.
Could be a motor and a control board.

Advertisement

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Probably a blower motor since it blew the 8 amp fuse.
SKIP4661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

what ever blew the 8 amp fuse took the same hit on the short but almost doubled the current and whatever shorted.....the smell is the result.get a pack of 8 amp screw in fuses.go down into the furnace and check the blower section for free spin dirt on the squirrels.check all the connections and wires for burnt marks then install a new fuse(toggle 115V off prior to any checking)toggle up the power with the stat calling fan only.let it run for 30 minutes and shut the unit off and feel the motor housing if it is hot to the touch the motor might be blowing the fuse.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:54 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by orsondog View Post
I am hoping I can get an anwer to my problem because I know some of the details to how I got where I am. I have a Rheem furnace (if memory serves me correctly) and the other day, after running this thing for weeks, it quit working. My wife called and said the furnace wont come on..no sound of the fan/blower...I told her I had no clue since I was at work, and would come home and take a look. (we have had bad experiences with guys coming over and trying to sell my wife a new heater, or bidding big money. I wish we knew someone we could trust.

When I came home, I checked a fuse box (one of those round fuses that threads in to the holder) and it was blown. Well, there was another fuse sitting on top of the furnace, and I looked at it, and though "why is the one that blew 8 amps, and this one 15, that I am about to put in the holder to replace it? I probably shouldn't do it"...well, I did. The heater ran fine for one week, running pretty long shifts, but never at night. I came home this morning from the store, and smelled a weird, plasticy, smokey odor, and was informed the heater conked out, and that the smell was coming from the furnace.

As I feared, the fuse did not blow, but apparently something in the furnace did...any ideas so I can act like I know what I am talking about with the repair person?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Well I guess you won't be trusting any Pro to come fix it any time soon.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

an 8 amp fuse on a furnace sound kinda small to me considering the blower pulls nearly 8 amps by itself but that dosent matter since your probs are whats been described by beenthere anyways

Advertisement

kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
(another dumb layman)