Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #1

Share |

help with cooling one side of my house.

Ok I have a small 1400 sqft home built in 74. The kitchen and livingroom on one side then into a small hall 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. I have almost no info on my ac system other than its a rheem 60,000 btu furnace. My d- box has 5 6" flex lines all short runs and 1 8" spit into 2 6"'s and 1 10" i belive split into 2 6"'s. The 2 long runs feed my kitchen and livingroom. My living room is 20x21 with a vaulted ceiling up to 14ft house is well insulated new widows solar screens and blinds. So with that said my half of the house with the bedrooms stay really cool also th ereturn is there too and thermostat. I want to put an extra vent to the living room to help cool it a little more it is always like 5 degrees warmer. I will take any info helping I am extremly handy ad can pretty much do anything that has to do with remodling. So shoot me some ideas or let me kno what other info you need to help me.

thanks a million!

sjthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

What size duct feeds your distribution box?

Don't just run the universal size 6" flex to the living room. Use a 7", and you might want to re-run the existing 6" as a 7" also.

Its easier to damper down a larger supply, then to force more air out of a smaller supply.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 AM   #3

OOOHHHHHH ssssooooverrryyy true...!
Old 08-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #4

there is no duct feeding it it is a box unit horizontal furnace then a very short section of sheetmetal connects to the register box.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #5

I went up and played with the dampers some and got a better flow into the living room so I think it is ok but I would like to redu all my flex duct and run it more efficently instead of there being 1 30ft run spliting to 2 6's and a 12ft to 2 6's and 5 that are like 10ft 6's.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:16 PM   #6

Smile

You can try to see if you are even capable of more air by closing registers in other rooms (just for a test) and see if the ducts you have now move more air into the room. If they do it could just be a balance, issue if they do not running new duct may be a possibility. Do remember you only have a certain amount of CFM to work with, if your air delivery system is moving all it can adding larger duct work to one area is going to rob it from another, the total amount of CFM is dictated by the total tonnage of your cooling Unit.

Kevin S
Owner Operator
Lennoxoemparts
kevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevins View Post
You can try to see if you are even capable of more air by closing registers in other rooms (just for a test) and see if the ducts you have now move more air into the room. If they do it could just be a balance, issue if they do not running new duct may be a possibility. Do remember you only have a certain amount of CFM to work with, if your air delivery system is moving all it can adding larger duct work to one area is going to rob it from another, the total amount of CFM is dictated by the total tonnage of your cooling Unit.

Kevin S
Owner Operator
Lennoxoemparts
Tonnage of the A/C doesn't completely limit the total amount of air. Since some areas may only more 350 CFM per ton, while others may move 450 CFM per ton, and still a few more may need to move 500 CFM per ton.

Its probably his under sized flex duct that is his main limiting factor in his current air flow set up.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote