Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #1
KLR

Share |
Unhappy

HELP? Control Board Fixed Heat...But Now A/C Won't Turn On - Homeowner

Hi, Green Newbie Here. Have a Gas Heat & A/C unit combined. Carrier Model 58GEC065-08; Originally installed in 1989; Single phase 115 volt, 60 Hz

I am reading and reading all your great posts but can't find the answer to my problem and I don't know enough to read between the lines. Forgive me in advance if (when) I say anything totally stupid...

I installed a new ICM271 about 6 months ago. All was great...It fixed my heat & blower perfectly BUT... I did not think to check the a/c back in the super cold times...

well the a/c-condenser fan- doesnt come on at all. My huband was so proud of me for fixing the heat, but now no a/c... We can't afford to call someone out here right now. Hope someone can help me...

I tested the power when asking for a/c and I am getting 24 volts between y - gh and also y - r. Thats all. Shouldn't I be getting 24 volts between y and gc??

When I ask for heat -everything works great. I checked the voltage so I could post that info too...When asking for heat, I am getting 24 volts between w - c; r - y; w - y; and gc - w.

Also, my wiring at the thermostat is w to w; y to y; g to g; rc and rH are jumped; and c to b (b is black, I have 5 wires and one is black)

The wiring at the contol board is w to w; y to y/r; gc to gh (supposed to be jumped on the ICM271 control board); r to r; and c to w/b (b - black)

Thanks for any help, Karen

btw: I bought the board at an appliance website listed on "samurai appliance" website

Last edited by KLR; 04-23-2009 at 12:43 PM.
KLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Your checking for voltage the wrong way.

With teh thermostat set to cool, and set several degrees below room temp, check for voltage from Y to C, and GH/GC to C.

Also, check to make sure that the breaker for the condenser isn't tripped, and is turned on.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
KLR

Hello beenthere, Have seen your postings and much respect for your generosity and knowledge.

I am sorry that I don't understand what you mean, just too new to all of this...All of the readings I gave were with the thermostat set below what the room temp, by at least 5 degrees; to get the "reaction" of heat/cooling to begin;

also, I did turn on the breaker for the a/c before and again off/on after the testing...sure it is not being tripped.

Thank you so very much for getting back to me so fast...what else can you think of??? Respectfully yours and thanks, Karen
Old 04-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
KLR

Please tell me to post whatever you think may help...please be patient with me...Really need help and want/fully intend to follow any direction you give me. Appreciate and thank you for your time, Karen
Old 04-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Take the readings I posted earlier.
The ones you took, are not the correct way. But do give an indication that the thermostat is not sending voltage to the board for A/C.

When the thermostat is calling for A/C, R to Y should not give you a 24 volt reading. But Y to C should.

If you not getting 24 volts fro Y to C, the problem is not the new board, but either your thermostat, or a broken wite, or slight miswire.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
KLR

Thanks. I rechecked again with the thermostat set to 10 degrees below the room temp...calling for cool, the results were the same voltage between y - r and y - gh.

I know there should be no power between gh and y and I need power between gc and c... right?

I dont know which wires to move on the thermostat or control board to make that happen.

The thermostat is digital. It is a Lux TX9000TS.

I need help switching out the wiring without killing something or someone.

I think the problem has to do with the fact that the board has gh gc and the thermostat has rh rc...but I don't know how to compensate for that. Maybe a call to Lux tech support?

I also double checked for tightness of connections.

Thanks for your help, Karen
Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Do you get 24 volts between Y and C of the furnace.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
KLR

Thermostat labels: W Y G RC RH C

My thermostat wires: W Y G R jump R B

My control board wiring
from thermostat and two
power wires R and W: W Y/R G jump GH R B/W

Last edited by KLR; 04-23-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
KLR

No nothing between y and c
Old 04-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
KLR

W Y G RC RH C thermostat color labels

W Y G R jump R B my wires to thermostat

W Y/R G R B/W wires into control board

W Y GC GH R C control board color labels

Last edited by KLR; 04-23-2009 at 01:34 PM. Reason: trying to get this lined up and added somethine
Old 04-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #11
An old Tradesmen

Thermostat should have a wire(usually red) on RC or RH, with a jumper to the opposite terminal.
Another wire should be on the C terminal(could be black, blue or some other color).
Then a wire on the W terminal(usually white)
One on the G terminal(usually green)
And one on the Y terminal(usually yelow)

On the furnace control board(ICM271)
R terminal should have the wire that connects to the stat RH/RC
Control board R should be jumper to control board GH
Control board W terminal should have the wire that connects to the stats W connected to it.
Control board GC should have the wire that connects the stats G terminal connected to it.
Control board Y terminal, should have the wire that connects to the stats Y teminal, along with one of the wires from the A/C outside unit.
Control board C terminal should have the wire from the stat that is connected to the C terminal connected to it, along with the other wire from the A/C outdoor unit.

Don't jumper control board GC and GH together.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
KLR

Oh....Then maybe I have to cut the jumper on the control board...the control board has the gh gc jumper "built in". It is called the JW1 jumper on the instruction sheet. The instructions say not to cut this jumper if you have a/c.

Should I go ahead and cut it anyway??????????

Here is the manual's excerpt of confusing instructions:
"The ICM271 has the same features and functions as the current Carrier/BDP replacement (HH84AA020). The ICM271 has additional optional features and some slight operational differences than the older obsolete Carrier/BDP units. These options and operational differences are listed below.
Note: Some older Carrier models did not have a cooling fan relay.
1. On older Carrier/BDP models, the low-speed blower would still function if the 24 volt transformer malfunctions. This will not happen with the ICM271.
2. If the JW1 jumper is cut, a constant low-speed blower will occur without any thermostat signal. Also, a signal applied to the GC or Y terminals will not bring on the hi-speed blower during the cooling mode. Therefore, the JW1 jumper must not be cut on cooling applications."

http://www.icmcontrols.com/downloads/icm271_ag.pdf
Old 04-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #13
An old Tradesmen

Sorry. Your correct, don't cut the factory jumper.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #14
KLR

Here is something even more confusing (to me anyway)...the wiring diagram is different and shows r jumped to gh. Also does it look like the gh gc is cut?? I don't know how to interpret this

Attached Thumbnails
HELP? Control Board Fixed Heat...But Now A/C Won't Turn On - Homeowner-dscn0011.jpg   HELP? Control Board Fixed Heat...But Now A/C Won't Turn On - Homeowner-dscn0013.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
KLR

Wait, I missed what you posted..."Control board R should be jumper to control board GH"!!! I do not have this jumped! I am going to go do it right now.

Thank you Beenthere! Oh man I hope this is it...
I'll be back! (after I try it)

Tags
24 volts, a/c, hvac, icm271, wont work