Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Send a message via AIM to ssporty21228 Send a message via Yahoo to ssporty21228
Share |

Help! Condenser fan comes on but compressor doesn''t

I Have a 4 ton trane unit that once every 1 or 2 weeks decides to stop working. The condenser fan works but the compressor stops working...what could be the problem...? (the inside fan works ok). If I reset the thermostat by pressing the reset button...then every thing works fine (the compressor comes back on). Again this is an intermittent problem...once every 1 or 2 weeks this occurs.

Also, my 4 ton trane is 11 yrs old...just had a 4.5 ton coil with an expansion valve put in by an ac company. (Prior to this the ac wasn't very cold) so they opened up the coil and it was in poor condition (rust, crud build up). Well anyway, it's still not blowing cold and according to them their gauges read that the condenser is fine. However, prior to the new coil, my daytime temperatures coming out of the vent with it being 98 degrees outside was only blowing 69 degrees. After the new coil was put in...it's still only blowing out 69 degrees from the register with it being 98 degrees outside. From what I read on the internet, the temp coming out of the registers should be approx. 55 degrees (I compared this to my sisters house ac temperature out of the registers and her's was about 56 to 57 degrees, pretty close to what I read on the internet). Can anybody give me some insight to what the problem maybe...? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ssporty21228; 07-20-2008 at 03:47 PM.
ssporty21228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:11 PM   #2

lets start with the obvious your compressor is having problems , it could be a weak capacitor, or its going off on thermal overload ( overheating) the second can be caused by a few things over charged system, undercharged system , large power consumtion ( compressor worn out) or a restriction in the line. the temp coming out of your vents is effected by two things the temp of the room air and the indoor relative humidity. but that being said the discharge air is to warm unless you keep your house about 85 degree's most likely the two issues are actualy one

geo fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to ssporty21228 Send a message via Yahoo to ssporty21228

That makes a lot of sense what you say...I gotta an a/c guy coming out and he's gonna replace the capacitor, check various other things and check the freon level (the last a/c guy that checked my system made a comment about the freon level being high). Thanks for responding to my post Geo! I think I need a new condenser because even if I set my thermostat at 78 degrees during the heat of the day, the temperature in my house will only get down to 81 degrees with the unit constantly on and not cycling.
ssporty21228 is offline   Reply With Quote