Help Carrier, Briant Furnance With Variable Motor Problem - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help Carrier, Briant Furnance with Variable motor problem

Help Carrier, Briant Furnance with Variable motor problem GE+5sme39sL0005 Motor
Thanks for all the posts about theses motors. This one goes beyond the thermister problem. Done that, replaced the themister. Furnace still will not run .
What I have done. Bought another motor that either had the Thermister bad or it went bad the first time it kicked on. It was burnt out when I pulled it apart.
I cleared out the old fault codes in the ECM. It had 41 of course (blower outside valid speed range)
Hooked the motor up, Turn on the system and it starts through the runup process with enducer motor kicking on ect.
When it gets to the point where the computer tells it to Run the variable speed motor to test that it is running properly I get a pulse that jerks the shaft of the motor but it does not start and run. Then it shows Fault 44 (blower calibration fault).
I dont find this problem anywhere on the net. I dont think it is in the motor or the controller attached too the motor. Have 2 motors Replaced the thermister in one and hotwired around it in the other one. Hard to believe both motors and both controllers are bad. Switched the controllers between motors with no luck.
This furnace had a problem for a while that it would stop working. If you turned the power off and back on a couple of times it would start and work for weeks or months.
This thing has a huge 12ADC Transformer on it, Weighs a couple of pounds. Could it be the transformer? How do you check one of these I get 120 volts to it but no voltage (I checked for 12) out of it. I suspect maybe the transformer only puts out voltage when it is gets loaded by the motor controller. Is that right????
Guys Can you give me some things to check. Is there another component in the Motor Controller that is causing this problem. Point me to another place on the web that might help.

Advertisement

ahenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 01:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help Carrier, Briant Furnance with Variable motor problem

#16 beenthere
An old Tradesmen

Carrier 58MVP Blower Problem

Sounds more like you have an air flow problem that needs to be corrected. Or your just going to keep burning out controllers.

Advertisement