Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #1

Share |

Help with A/C....

First of all thank you for taking the time to view this and for any help you may contribute.

I own a 2000 SF two story home in the hot and humid midwest. The house was built in 1998 and still has the original AC/Furnace unit. Recently I have noticed that the AC runs alot more often and cycles on/off alot more. I believe the AC Unit itself is functioning properly as the temp at the return is 70* , and the temp at the first duct in the basement across the evaporator is 52*. I've always understood a 15-20 degree drop is sufficient.

This is where I get confused. Nothing has changed in the house that I can think of that would affect the AC performance, and the temperatures outside have actually dropped which I would assume would make the load even easier yet it has gone from cycling maybe 1-2 max per hour on a 90* day to taking 4 hours to cool from 76 to 73 in the afternoon. Then it continues to cycle 3-4 times an hour even in the night. I never recall hearing it run at night.

I looked at the ductwork in the basement and there are definitely some leaks at the furnace trunk and ductwork that needs sealing (What should I use to do this?) But that wouldn't explain why the AC cycles so fast even after it cools down to shut off. I realize this may be impossible to diagnose over the internet but I am just looking for some ideas before I spend alot of money to call a contractor to find something I could have easily fixed myself.

If you need anymore info please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

JRod78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Help with A/C....

Could be that the indoor unit is just a bit louder this year then previous years. And you are only taking notice to it running so much now because it is louder.

May also need cleaned. Coils could be dirty. And reducing the amount of air going through them, and making it work harder.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 AM   #3

Help with A/C....

I'm sorry I should have been more specific....this has just occured over the past week or so.
JRod78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Help with A/C....

Still could be dirty coils.

It can be a bit like the straw that broke the camel's back.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote