Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help appreciated

Please bear with me I'll be as descriptive as possible and try not to write a novella.

Specs

Home 2 story 4200 sq. ft approaching 10 years old. System is a split unit, with 2 Goodman CPKJ36-1AB units outside and two Goodman A42-10 air handlers in the attic. In the last few years I've replaced contactors and capacitors due to suicidal geckos and ants. I've become familiar with the workings of the units, enough to do troubleshooting.

For the issue I'm dealing only with the upstairs unit at this time. The upstairs unit began freezing up last year and I called in an HVAC tech. He said the unit was low and installed 2lbs of refrigerant which corrected my issue. Now almost a year later I'm having the same issues so I call him back out. Again 2lbs low. He tops the system off and its cooling like a champ. We discuss the slow leak and a replacement in the fall of this year. He discusses the issues with a 10 year old Goodman air handler and the new issues with R22 systems.

Now we get to this past weekend, I set the unit on 76 and go out of town. I get home to find that its 81F and the output air is 75F. I check to see if the unit is frozen and its not. I can hear the compressor running and the fan is blowing, the fan in the air handler is running and there is enough suction to hold the filter in place. When I go to the air handler and check the A coil it feels as if only half of both upper and lower coils are cooling. Ive checked the temp on the surface and it varies to ambient air temp on the V end of the coils. We are in the 100s lately but the downstairs unit is not having issues cooling to the set temp.

Where do I start to diagnose or should I just call him back out. I would like to limp this system through to the fall, is finding the leak worth it at this point?

Thanks in advance.

sirhc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Help appreciated

If the Evap coil is leaking you have to replace it. The leak can be at any welding also. If the condenser is in good shape just replace the Evap coil.

You have to do a better leak test to make sure if it is evap coil leak or lineset.

**Always kill the power ** Hot air rises, but heat will always move from higher to lower temperatures. ** Real man shoot in manual. ** If it ain't grounded, it ain't dead.
JJboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 02:17 PM   #3

Help appreciated

Thanks.

Since its a 10 year old system should I even consider repairing or just go for replacement. My original intent was to prepare for the out of pocket expense and do it this fall. Honestly if I could keep it running longer that wouldn't hurt either. I dont have any idea how much the leak and repair would cost, I do have an idea on the cost of refrigerant since I've done it a few times now.

Is there anything that could be wrong that would keep it from blowing cold air if it were serviced two weeks ago. Based on what I can see and diagnose its running as it should, air handler fan, compressor, outside fan are all on. Its odd that the last charge took over a year to leak enough refrigerant to cause an issue and two weeks after service its not running properly.

I know the charge was correct, I watched the gauges and saw the weight of the bottle on the scale and trust this company owner, both competency and advice. I also know that his recommendation is to replace the unit. Im sure it has to do with it being goodman which still makes me wonder why a very high end home builder used it in the first place. Im not trying to second guess him, just weighing all my options.

Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
vln
Underwriter

Rewards Points: 75

Help appreciated

Goodman is an extremely cheap contractor brand, home builders use the cheapest HVAC system known to mankind. They also install mostly goodman's in apartments due to the rebates the contractors get when installing them.+
vln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:40 PM   #5

Help appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by vln View Post
Goodman is an extremely cheap contractor brand, home builders use the cheapest HVAC system known to mankind. They also install mostly goodman's in apartments due to the rebates the contractors get when installing them.+

That I've come to understand although the home was built by Drees. Normally one would expect that they would use a higher end unit. Upstairs is currently a toasty 82 and the unit is off.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Help appreciated

Call the teck back to check the freon level. you may have a big leak now which is not hard to find.
clocert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #7

Help appreciated

three pounds low on refrigerant. I wasn't able to get my normal guy to come out, he is actually on vacation. I have a friend that is a warehouse manager for one of the nationwide companies and he sent one of his techs out. Sadly again it was you will most likely need to replace the unit vs. lets find the leak and deal with it. I see a chunk of $ coming out of my pocket in the near future. I should get a call soon with a quote to change out the unit with current equipment, I really want to attempt this on my own checking to see if I can get a certified tech to do the final soldering, pressurizing and sign off.

Thanks,
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Help appreciated

You need to find a tech to search for the leak, lost 3 pounds of freon in 2 weeks, that is a big leak, it should be very easy to find. depedns on where the leak is, if it can be repaired or not, and how much it will cost you to repair the leak, and then you will know if you really have to buy a new system.

clocert is offline   Reply With Quote