Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM   #1

Share |

Help with American Standard not burning.

Hey Guys, new to forum. I have a problem at my house. I have a American Standard freedom 78 furnace that is approx. 14-15 yrs. old. The furnace will call for heat and the lower burner will light but the top five will not. The igniter is located on the lower burner and the flame sensor is located on the top(6th) burner. I guess because the top burner isn't lighting then the flame sensor doesn't sense a flame and the gas is shut off. I have changed the flame sensor and still no good. I can move the igniter to the top burner with the sensor and the top burner will continue to burn. Also, sometimes I can blow on the lower burner at the same time that it lights and it will cause the remaining five to light as well. Shouldn't they just light by themselves. I am thinking maybe the gas valve is not allowing enough gas/pressure through the burners to ignite properly. I mean if I could put an igniter in front of all the burners I'm sure they all would light and burn. What do you guys think...Thanks............

DYNOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:10 PM   #2

I'm not very familiar with this unit, but sounds like the burners and the crossover need cleaned. I don't think you need to replace the gas valve just remove the burners and clean them.

sgthvac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #3

Forgive me for sounding ignorant but, I'm not sure what the crossover is. Thanks................
Old 01-25-2009, 04:22 PM   #4

like mentioned clean the track that the gas picks up the flame from the other burners.that upper/lower i don't understand?the pilot assembly,spark ignitor,and flame sensor should be in a group? in the middle of the heat exchanger when it lights the flame works it way up that burner and left to right on that track to light the others.wire brushthe crossover and all the burner headers....is the lower burner the pilot flame?
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #5

There are basically 6 burners. They are stacked on top of each other kinda like an over/under shotgun but maybe an inch or two between them. The igniter is bolted directly in front of the bottom burner. The flame sensor is bolted directly in the flame travel of the sixth burner (top) but there is probably a foot or foot and half between the flame sensor and the igniter. I guess on my unit everything goes from top to bottom and not side to side.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #6

the crossover piece connects the 6 burner going left to right could be a perferated tube or channel.what it does is allow the track that lights first to roll out onto the other burners as a flame and ignite those remaining 5 headers.......with out it or some kind of gizmo how does the flame from the pilot lit header get out to the other 5....when the pilot header lights with a flame the other have raw gas in them so the track connects that flame along it and lits those as close to the first lighting on start.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #7

So...its a vertical burner! their is no pilot.....the ignitor lights the lowest burner and the flame sensor picks that up on the 6th to OK the main gas valve........re-read it again.....the ignitor is on the bottom and the sensor is on the top burner flame rises up to light the others. moving it down to a lower maybe 5th one would work......might want to remove the burner tubes and brush them out

Last edited by biggles; 01-25-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
So! their is no pilot.....the ignitor lights the 6th burner and the flame sensor picks that up to OK the main gas valve
so I guess what I need to do is find out why the gas/flame isn't traveling up the tube to the other burners. Once I have it lit all six burn fine. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #9

once that gas valve opens up you can bet you have gas being injected into the burner runouts and the flame has to be following up......might consider removing the brass orifices off the gas header,and check them for dust.small adjustable wrench they thread off easy typical left lose right tight