Help Ac Not Working - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2008, 11:06 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

help ac not working

I have a house that is 29 years old,i believe the ac unit is the same age.When i turn on the ac nothing happens.i tried putting it to the heater mode and still nothing. I have a old mercury thermostat. I was wondering if that could be the problem,maybe bad fuses also. I checked the circuit breaker and its good.
Can someone point me in the right direction. i live in Phoenix az and cant get someone to look at it for at least 2 weeks.

Advertisement

supertech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

help ac not working

if you have a FAN ..ON setting on the stat try putting the fan ON if nothing and all your toggle switches are ON at the furnace and the emergency RED furnace shut down(i you have it ) you might of lost 24 vOLTS control out of the furnace that controls the fan/compressor-condenser/furnace thru the STAT.check down in the furnace for a small AUTO...CAR fuse within the furnace electrical section,even a small circuit breaker on the transformer itself?if you remove the stat cover and with the stat in cooling /fan on the switches ...move the mercury bulbs with a index finger to slide the mercury back and forth in the glass...if you see no spark in the glass you have no 24 VOLTS. if you see a spark 24 VOLTS powered up...something in the furnace is holding you out.putting the FAN/ON is the quickest way to check for that 24 V side of the system.FEEL AMBITIOUS.....take the stat cover off the subbase and jump (small piece of wire)R to G fan should run...R to Y condenser should run if you see/hear nothing running the TR or controls need check out.

Advertisement

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote