Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hello and zone valve

Hey guys, I bought my first house this last year and suddenly have found myself scouring this site way too much. Therefore I decided that I might as well join and take part in the discussion.

I have a hot water boiler with two zones in the house. One of the zone valves is making an awful noise when it opens or closes. I appears to open and close slower than usual also, therefore I assume that it needs to be replaced. My main purpose for posting is to find out if I can replace this myself or if this needs a professional. The valve looks like this:

Does the head just twist off? And if so, is water going to shoot out everywhere until I get the new one in? Secondly, I am unsure about the wiring. The current valve head wiring is numbered, but some of the numbers are printed twice while on the new head, the numbers are only printed once. How the heck do I wire this thing? The the current wiring looks like this:

and the place where you attach the wires on the new valve looks like this.

If anyone can help me out I would be ecstatic. Thanks in advance

kongsmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:18 AM   #2
Still Learning

Hello and zone valve

I believe you want to repost this in the plumbing section. I have worked on recirculating lines, but dont know the answer to this. I do know this is a plumbing problem, not hvac

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:16 AM   #3
An old Tradesmen

Hello and zone valve

The head just twist off, no water will come out.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #4

Hello and zone valve

Thanks beenthere. I found the picture of the valve that makes me believe that water might come out when I take the head off.

I realize that some plumbing is involved here, but I still think that this is considered an HVAC problem since plumbers are not likely to know how to wire this thing.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
AKA HVACTECHFW

Hello and zone valve

should be 2 screws underneath that will keep the water from coming out. Don't twist it, then it will leak. can you explain the noise? wiring should be the same from old to new I understand some numbers may be on the old twice but if you look closely the numbers are near corresponding holes that the wire inserts into. Depending on the noise, it may be that the whole valve needs replaced which will require removing the head and draining the system then replacing the brass valve assy.

Last edited by hvactech126; 04-12-2011 at 07:07 PM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #6

Hello and zone valve

. It sounds sorta like you are pulling out a wood cabinet drawer. Except a really really long drawer. A lower squeaky sound. I didnt see any screws underneath.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Hello and zone valve

The valve and the actuator are 2 separate pieces. The actuator can be replaced without any water coming out.

I was thinking of Taco when I said it twist, sorry. Must not have had enough coffee in me yesterday morning when I answered.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
AKA HVACTECHFW

Hello and zone valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongsmasher View Post
. It sounds sorta like you are pulling out a wood cabinet drawer. Except a really really long drawer. A lower squeaky sound. I didnt see any screws underneath.
sound may be the motor, may not be.....

on opposite corners on the bottom are 2 1/4" screws silver in color if I am remembering correctly.

post picture looking at the bottom of the assy.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:09 PM   #9

Hello and zone valve

Ok, I went ahead and bought a new control valve. Upon inspection, it appears that to install it, I will either have to drain the system or get sprayed with water. If the water is at 90 degrees and at 10psi, do you think that I could safely just pull the old one out and put the new one in real fast without letting massive amounts of water out? Here is the new one:

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #10
AKA HVACTECHFW

Hello and zone valve

read the instructions that came with the part. it clearly states "Motor can be removed from valve assembly without draining system."

there are 2 screws that hold the motor to the valve stem.......

Last edited by hvactech126; 04-13-2011 at 07:28 PM.
hvactech126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #11

Hello and zone valve

OK im embarrassed that you had to draw arrows and everything. Genius! it comes apart! Thanks! You probably literally saved my face from scalding hot water disfigurement.

I cant wait to put this baby in! I will update shortly.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #12

Hello and zone valve

DONE!
Super easy! Thanks hvactech126! I would have water all over me if you hadnt have stopped me. Its actually quiet. We have been living with this GrrrGrrrGrrrGrrrrr sound every night this winter due to this valve. I had the local HVAC guy out back in October when we first turned our heat on and he said that it made so much noise because it was a 3/4 inch valve and estimated over $300 to fix it. Since the noise got louder, I knew that something was wrong for sure. HA! $118 for the valve and your help and its done. Here is the underside of the old one:
You cant really see from the photo, but some of the wires had blackened and the circular thing in the middle has black areas on it as well.

Thanks again! (soon I will probably be asking how to wire an programmable thermostat with this system)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #13
Still Learning

Hello and zone valve

Wow i must apologise. That was an hvac problem. You said boiler so i thought recirculating hot water pump. Here in cali i have never once seen a hydronic heat system except in HUGE commercial and industrial buildings.

thehvacguy is offline   Reply With Quote