Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #1

Share |

Hello I have a heat pump question?

We just had a new Ruud installed 3 weeks ago and we are awaiting a part for the emergent heat, however the fan will not shut off. I won't go into the gory details of the installation company who I thought I vetted pretty well, however now after they have replaced the T-stat it still won't shut off and the women I just got off the phone with at the company is telling me it won't shut off because the unit is "calling for the emergent heat". Thank you in advance I just want to know if this sounds like a possibility?

Rebecca

pennie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 11:56 AM   #2

Depending on how they wired it up, this is a possibility. Tell them to come over and correct the situation until the part comes in because it is running up your electric bill needlessly and causing some comfort issues in your house.

Last edited by dac122; 11-17-2008 at 02:52 PM.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:47 PM   #3

if its wired correctly as stated the fan should indeed shut down when temp is reached as long as you are using it on em heat and not the regular heat setting if not they screwed the wireing up as stated does it get hotter than its set for or just cold air between heat cycles
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:12 PM   #4

First off thanks so much for the replys. What happens is the outside unit comes on (warm air) then when it shuts off cool air continues to come out as the fan stays on, so consequently the outside unit would run almost the entire time because the cool air would cool the house and would of course kick the unit back on much sooner than normal. Right now we have only been only running it for a couple hours at a time to warm the house and then we shut it off at the breaker.

When I called today I asked the lady if this could be a wiring problem because they already replaced the T-stat and she bit my head off "no it's not a wiring problem, it's calling for the emergent heat. The more asked what that meant the more she just kept say the same thing, It's calling for the emergent heat, calling for the emergent heat, never truly explaining what the heck that means . I demanded she have the owner call me, I just want a straight answer.
pennie100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #5

I would definitely ask for someone that can explain the situation better.

Just curious what part are you waiting for, and how long has it been? Perhaps we can help determine why it is still running your blower.

Regardless, I stick with my original recommendation: tell them to correct the situation until the part comes in.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #6

if its set on em heat than outdoor should NOT be running ever.
if its set on reg heat the tstat should indicate weather or not the em heat is operating in conjunction with the outside.
if just the outside unit is running the air will feel cool as its typically cooler than your body temp and will run for long cycles, sometimes almost seems like it never shuts off,this is somewhat normal.
the fan running continuously although being a nuisance will not make the house cool down faster as it is only recycling the air
not sure where you fit in with these various scenarios
is this the first heat pump you've had?
not saying youre not having a problem but thought id try to clairify the operation
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:40 PM   #7

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennie100 View Post
We just had a new Ruud installed 3 weeks ago and we are awaiting a part for the emergent heat, however the fan will not shut off. I won't go into the gory details of the installation company who I thought I vetted pretty well, however now after they have replaced the T-stat it still won't shut off and the women I just got off the phone with at the company is telling me it won't shut off because the unit is "calling for the emergent heat". Thank you in advance I just want to know if this sounds like a possibility?

Rebecca

The "emergent heat", is probably the electric heating element that was not installed during the initial installation. This heater will keep your house warm when the temperature outside is below 40F. This is normally referred to supplemental heater to supplement the ineffeciency of your heat pump to cool the house. This heater is also powered up during defrost mode of your system. Meaning that when your outdoor coil is coated with iced, there is a sensor that closes and sends a signal to your defrost control board and initiate defrost for 17 seconds or less, it depends if the control board is set to 30, 60, or 90 minutes. Until you have this electric heater installed you will always have a cool air coming out of your vents. Hopes this explains it. I would leave the unit alone it may feel cool to you but I assure you the heat pump will still deliver a bit of warm air to your house. The only way to find out how much heat is coming out of your vent is to purchase a digital thermometer or a cheap dial thermometer that you can buy from automotive store. An infrared laser thermometer is ideal tool to test temperature from air register, but it cost a bit more.
pbservano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #8

Hello, I am new, and I have a question about a Ruud Heat pump. It was installed in 2005 or 2006 and for the last 2 weeks it has started to make an intermittant really weird, loud, high pitched growl, just before the heat comes on. What does it sound like is wrong with it?

Linda

lannas is offline   Reply With Quote