Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

Share |

Heil vs Carrier furnace replacement

I need to replace the furnace in my house which is in Indianapolis. The house was built in 1989 if I recall correctly and I believe the current furnace is the original. We bought the house in 2000.

One HVAC company wants to install a Heil DLX80 (75,000 BTU, 80% downflow gas furnace). An alternative is to use a Goodman furnace.

Another contractor wants to install a Carrier or a Payne furnace.

I don't have any experience with any of these units. Does anyone have any suggestions? I need to contract with one of them tomorrow morning so we can get the heat back on. There's a crack in the heat exchanger right now that's emitting carbon monoxide (35 ppm according to the first contractor).

Last edited by Husky6; 02-19-2007 at 08:26 PM. Reason: update description of work site
Husky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #2

I think you can do better with more estimates..........I personaly perfer Lennox

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the recommendation. I decided to go with the contractor who proposed installing the Heil unit. From what I know he has a good reputation and he's been servicing the now old unit semi-annually for several years. With temperatures dipping pretty low during the nights and the wild weather we've had recently I did not want to go too long without the furnace working. Time will tell if I made a good decision.
Husky6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Thoroughbred Mopar Man

Hi Husky6

I have been pretty busy and unable to do much work on the site lately. The Heil furnace is built by a company called Inner City Products or ICP. This company is owned by the Carrier corporation, however the quality between the two are not the same. I had been in this field for a lot of years and got to see the problems of about all the manufacturers. There is a reason I chose the Carrier line for my own house. The company I worked for up until rescently carried Carrier, Lennox, Amana. The last good Lennox unit was the G21 pulse furnace. We all but quit selling the Lennox line because of the out of the box problems with them. In my opinion they actually dropped their quality below that of a builders line of equipment built by Goodman. What you will want to look for is factory warranties on the heat exchangers. You will note on the Carrier that most of the 80 plus Carriers carry a 25 year warranty, I believe the Heil only has a 10 year. Believe me when I say this, there is a reason for the difference in warranty. In my personal opinion the cost up front is not worth the furture cost. Hope this helps for any future questions. If you could afford it a 90 plus Carrier has a lifetime heat exchanger warranty.

Good luck
Rusty
Old 02-28-2007, 07:07 AM   #5

harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote