Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Heil inducer fan will not run?

I have a Heil inducer motor (Fasco) that begins to start then stops. It as if the start windings are fried. The original fans motor was not running, but hot; therefore I assumed it was seized. It was replaced with a new unit (expensive) with a fairly new run capacitor that I have been told was to large. Interesting since it had worked on the original fan. It was replaced by a service tech last year. Because the new fan tried to start and then 'kicked' out I turned the power off -- then tried again -- same result. I don't want to 'burn' the new Fasco unit -- so I am asking questions. I also replaced the run capacitor and pressure switch with no better results. Thank you for any help.

Thom
Thomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Which fan is not working, the inducer or the main air blower fan? Which one was replaced earlier. What is the model # of the furnace and age. Post some pics of it as there are lots of different Heil units.
yuri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #3

My model number is: NUGK125AK01 I assume it is about 15 years old.; however in a high humidity environment. It is the inducer fan that begins to start , then kicks out. I can cycle it by turning off the power, but the same thing. As an after thought I took the old fan apart, the fan was free. so I may have replaced it unnecessarily.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #4

Thanks for any help.

Thom
Old 11-21-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Hvac Pro

Post a pic of the electrical box with the cover off. Yours may have a glass/plastic plug in relay on the inside of that box or you may have a chocolate brown set of relays on the left. One of them turns on the inducer and is probably faulty. That furnace is notorious for having cracked heat exchangers and/or the compression rings which hold the exchanger together popping out. If you have some $$ and with the rebates for high efficiency furnaces you may want to think about that option. Does that fan turn freely? Take the smokepipe off the top of it and look for a dead bird inside, yes it happens!

Last edited by yuri; 11-21-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #6

Yuri -- Thanks again. I will have to go where the unit is -- I will take a few photos. I would replace the unit (U.S. government is allowing a 30% rebate (tax rebate) for 95% furnaces. I will measure the existing furnace with it's A/C coil plenum. It's tight, but I would like to consider a furnace with similar dimensions -- for the obvious reasons. I'll post back in an hour or so -- I really appreciate any help on this. I would have a HVAC contractor help -- but I have been stung on this furnace every time. I'm not cheap, just hate being seen as a sucker. Last year I had the fan replaced, gas control replaced, limit switch replaced, then the capacitor, now I learn that the capacitor was the wrong size. This year it is starting up all over. I am not afraid of working, but want to understand what is wrong. -- If I can.

Thom
Old 11-21-2009, 08:48 AM   #7

I think my control unit is 'gray' in color -- sits on the right side of the fire box.

T
Old 11-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #8

Pictures... It is a Honeywell control unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Heil inducer fan will not run?-img_9639.jpg   Heil inducer fan will not run?-img_9637.jpg   Heil inducer fan will not run?-img_9642.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

That is the ignition control and it should not be loose like that and won't work properly on a rusty surface. I need to see the inducer fan and burner area. That furnace looks like it is in POOR shape to me. I can tell you of 6 different problems that can occur caused by all that rusting. It is a money $$ pit and I would buy a new unit. You need to find out if the A/C coil is draining properly or may be rusted out and need replacing as something is seriously wrong.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #10

Correction -- The Honeywell number is S86F 1042. Will this unit prevent the inducer fan from starting -- the symptom is that it starts and then 'kicks' out after a second. As the load begins -- it stops the circuit. If I turn off the power -- it will reset and try again. I didn't want to push this because it is a new fan, as I said before, quite expensive.

Thanks,

Thom
Old 11-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #11
Hvac Pro

Read my post above yours. Trace the wires from the inducer fan back to the relay or circuit board and post a pic of it. The S86 controls the gas and spark not the inducer.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #12

Yuri -- The rust is from a very damp basement -- the control module was removed to get a better picture. I agree with,your analysis I should probably replace. On the other hand, if I could get it to run until the spring I would be able to renovate the furnace room to a dry it up a little. I will do as you suggest and get back ASAP. The unit is in another location. Again, I appreciate your help.

Thom
Old 11-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #13

Yuri -- Here are the photos.

Thom
Attached Thumbnails
Heil inducer fan will not run?-img_9650.jpg   Heil inducer fan will not run?-img_9652.jpg   Heil inducer fan will not run?-img_9647.jpg  
Old 11-21-2009, 04:40 PM   #14

Unhappy

My current furnace dimensions are: 54" tall x 27 1/2" deep x 25 3/4 wide.
The plenum 24" wide x 20 1/4" deep. Any new product meet these dimensions?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #15
Hvac Pro

It probably is that clear plastic relay which is faulty. They are very difficult to get and not easy to replace. Most furnaces can replace that one. Lennox is my preference and they are about 41" tall. The inducer fan for that furnace is ridiculously expensive also. Does not matter to me if you keep it but that furnace is NOT going to be reliable. The rebates expire Dec 31 where I am, not sure about the US. Cheaper to buy a portable dehumidifier for the furnace area and run it rather than lose the rebates.

Tags
80% inducer, fasco fan, heil furnace, help!, inducer won't run