Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #1

Share |

Heil gas furnace whine

I have a Heil furnace, model H8MPN100F20A1, made in June 2003. Over the past couple of days it has developed a loud, high pitched whin when starting in the morning. This noise continues for some time. After a while it quits, and when the furnace cycles on during the day it is quiet. I thought it might be the combustion blower, but since the noise quits, that doesn't seem likely. Last fall I changed the blower motor and fan.

DickE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #2

Heil gas furnace whine

when does it whine..just during initial start ..if so, could be the induced draft fan/motor. Stand beside the furnace during initial start and listen closely to try and determine where whine is coming from...see if at first start or after blower turns on.Let us know more from your observations. Couls also be from ductwork after blower comes on.

techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Heil gas furnace whine

Thanks for the reply. I think the whine is only on the initial start up - it is very loud when the furnace comes on in the morning (we have a programmable thermostat). The whine persists for quite a while, and is very loud, but then after the furnace cycles off and on, the sound is gone. I thought it probably was the combustion draft blower motor (Heil's term), which is what I think you mean by the induced draft fan/motor, but I would think that if that were the problem, the noise would persist. Is that not true? Could the motor still be bad, and after warm-up, the noise quits?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

Heil gas furnace whine

those motors spin at over 3000 rpm , run very hot and the bearings wear out. The air is colder and denser early in the morning and the chimney is cold and it has to work harder because of that and it can make noise. the noise goes away once it warms up as the heat from the smoke warms up the motor and chimney and it can run easier. probably going to have to replace it soon as it will seize up.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #5

Heil gas furnace whine

THANKS Yuri..good description and information. how's things in the PEG?

I was there a few times between 2003 -2007. Stayed at the Fort Gary. Too fancy for my liking (company booked our Tech Support crew in there) but, at least it was walking distance to Earls restaurant and bar! We all had a great time! Oh! and we did some work too.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:06 AM   #6
Hvac Pro

Heil gas furnace whine

the PEG is doing very well as long as the Red River (red sea) does not flood too bad and it looks like it will this yr. I guess you did not stay in the haunted room 202 at the Fort Garry. apparently a woman died there 100 yrs ago and her ghost stays in that room and scares the daylights out of weak minded ghost believers.

the PEG is quite stable and they are increasing the size of the Convention centre 3X and we are getting lots of biz hotels etc. we are in the middle of Canada and good for biz that way. also getting Centre Port and becoming a major freight centre being in the middle of the country and with Northern freight and possibly airships etc flying freight over the pole and down to us soon.

Last edited by yuri; 04-11-2013 at 08:11 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Heil gas furnace whine

Sounds COOL! "air ships"?...and didn't you just get a new football stadium too? I think I might have been in 202. Had about 12 people in that tiny room for a get together. Slept very well. If you know what I mean. Thought I saw a ghost first thing in the morning. Uh..no..that was me looking in the mirror!
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #8

Heil gas furnace whine

Yuri and Techpappy, Thanks for the good info! I changed the air filter yesterday, and today it is quiet. So, it might be an air flow issue. If it makes more noise, I will just bite the bullet and change the combustion fan. I did listen to the fan with a screwdriver to my ear, and I didn't hear anything that sounded like bad bearings.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Hvac Pro

Heil gas furnace whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by techpappy View Post
Sounds COOL! "air ships"?...and didn't you just get a new football stadium too? I think I might have been in 202. Had about 12 people in that tiny room for a get together. Slept very well. If you know what I mean. Thought I saw a ghost first thing in the morning. Uh..no..that was me looking in the mirror!

Yeah, airships. There is a huge problem and expense with getting freight up North to mines and remote communities as there are few roads due to the muskeg and tundra and winter roads over frozen lakes don't last and shipping is VERY expensive and unreliable on them. there are some companies experimenting with new school airships to fly cargo and within 5-10 yrs will make it work once Floyds of London will insure them when they are tested and proven safe. They will fly from the PEG as we have major railways and all the infrastructure already for transportation. Cool Eh
Old 04-11-2013, 01:58 PM   #10

Heil gas furnace whine

Yeah ..quite desolate in the North..I've been to Moosenee a few times, inspecting the boilers at the hospital and have been 3 times as far north to a weather station called Eureka. only a few hundred miles from the top of the world!..only people there are those who work there. Not habitable, even by the Inuit. There are polar bears, wolves, musk ox, arctic hare, birds and some caribou. Just tufts of grass to survive on. incredible! Most food is flown in. Machinery, fuel and other non perishables are delivered once each summer by ship. Cool place to visit but, wouldn't want to be there long. The employees work 6 months on and 6 off. HQ is actually out of Winnipeg.

Oh yeah, found out the new stand by boiler was firing up every hour or so, for about 5 minutes..that's a boiler killer. Main heat from diesel generators....it had been happening for months..YIPES!..just had to reset the temps on the Building Controls Automation system to get rid of that bugaboo. Made the trip worth while. Easily saved about 100 grand. As you said..VERY EXPENSIVE up in the North. Most people in Toronto think Barrie is up north. haha

Last edited by techpappy; 04-11-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
Hvac Pro

Heil gas furnace whine

Yep. I went REAL Polar Bear watching (unlike the zoo ones) in Wager Bay with some Inuit. flew to Thompson to Rankin to Wager Bay in a Twin Otter. Bears were pure white and pristine. Did my share of boilers in a hospital and some automation too. Friend of mine is a boiler inspector for Northern MB and has the same stories as yours. Gotta love the Great White North.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #12

Heil gas furnace whine

Yeah, we had to fly commercial a few hours from Rankin( Iqualuit) to Resolute Bay then, twin otter several hours straight north from Resolute Bay up to Eureka. That's about 3000 miles north of Toronto...NUTS!! Apparently the pilot was the best in the Arctic and also flew to remote sites in Africa and South America.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Hvac Pro

Heil gas furnace whine

Don't know how they found this tiny camp we had at Wager Bay and that was B4 GPS. I asked the pilots if they used the compass. He*ll no, compass don't work up here he said. So far up North that the magnetic compass and True North did not jive or whatever ( magnetic declination). I imagine they triangulated a plan from Rankin and flew direct headings from it. Amazing what those guys can do.

Last edited by yuri; 04-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote