Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #1

Share |

Heil Gas Furnace has trouble starting sometimes

Hi - Great Forum.

I have a Heil Gas furnace - about 12 years old - that has some trouble starting up occasionally.

Let me be more specific: This furnace has the type of ignitor that sparks to light a small pilot then the full gas comes on.

Occasionally - once a day or so - I hear the relay click signaling a call for heat from my thermo, then the chimney blower starts and I hear the ignitor clicking (Tick, Tick, Tick) fairly quickly, usually it clicks about 5 times before I hear the woosh of gas lighting up (or see it if I am watching), but sometimes it clicks for 30 seconds or so and does not light.

What seems to happen next is the furnace will run for a period of time - 7 to 10 miniutes before it will shutoff for about 2 or 3 minutes and try again -0 usually it works the second time.

While this is not currently a big deal, I am concerned that something is "going south" on this unit and will probably fail when it is -20C here.

Any suggestions on what to look for? I will probably call a tech to check it out, but I would liek to be somewhat informed before he comes out - I have been burned before!

Thanks in advance!
D in Montreal.

dmanmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #2

That was a bad time in Hiel life.

That sparker is prone to trouble good news a good piolet cleaning and it should be fine.

Do not replace the sparker instead have the tech upgrade to a nitried (sp?) hot surface igniter you will need a new gas valve as well but you will be trouble for a long time.

Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:01 AM   #3

I appreciate your advice, Thanks. As for cleaning the pilot - is that something I can do myself? I can see the pilot tube, is it just a question of brushing it off/cleaning out the orifice or is there more to it than that? Would like to try this before I call a tech...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Heat View Post
That was a bad time in Hiel life.

That sparker is prone to trouble good news a good piolet cleaning and it should be fine.

Do not replace the sparker instead have the tech upgrade to a nitried (sp?) hot surface igniter you will need a new gas valve as well but you will be trouble for a long time.
dmanmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #4

Yes you can clean it I would not bother with the orifice at first just scrape the sparer and the pilot shield I use an emery board or sand paper on a Popsicle stick. If that does not do it remove the pilot and blow out the orifice and clean the sparker again.
Dr Heat is offline   Reply With Quote