Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2007, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Heil Gas Furnace

I have an older Heil gas furnace. The exhaust blower comes on...the burner fires and stays on for about 10-15 seconds and goes out....then the blower comes on and stays on untill the lower fan limit is hit....then the process starts over. Bye the way it does have a standing piolit light...it on all the time.

Anyone have any suggestions???

chazet54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:48 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Heil Gas Furnace

There is a flame sensor and it is likely covered in carbon. It looks like a thin piece of wire and hangs down in front of one of the burners. When the furnace "brain" tells the burners to ignite, the flame sensor registers heat and tells the brain to keep feeding fuel. If the sensor reports back that there is no heat/flame the brain shuts down the system to avoid a gas leak into your house. Carbon builds up from the flames and prevents enough heat from registering.

There should be a screw or two holding the sensor in place, take it out and scuff it up with steel wool..... be careful, you want to remove the carbon build up from the burner, but not scratch the sensor itself. This is the quick fix, if it doesn't work you may need a new sensor.

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #3

Question

Heil Gas Furnace

Thanks, but I can't find a flame sensor. I took the burners, pilot, and everything else out and cleaned them. The only sensor I found was the one for the pilot light. The pilot light burns all the time. I vacumed all the burners, chambers and got a tone of rust out. put eveything back together, light the pilot, and not the flame when it lights is much better than before, but in about 90 seconds it goes out. Same as before.

Something is shutting the gas valve down.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM   #4

Cool

Heil Gas Furnace

Bye the way. the model number is NUGG125DH02 made by the HQCO company Laverne, TN. The name on the furnace is a Heil???
Old 10-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Heil Gas Furnace

I wish my knowledge were detailed enough to help you further but it is not. Try this site: http://forums.invision.net/index.cfm?CFApp=2

If the link doesn't work go to www.heatinghelp.com and find "the wall" (its the forum I tried to link you to above). That's all they talk about there; good luck.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote