Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Heil furnace has a hard time lighting

I have a heil furnace - about 15 years old (natural gas) . This furnace has the type of ignition system that light a pilot light electronically and then the pilot lights the main burners.

The problem is that often (about half the time) the ignitor snaps for a full 30 seconds before the pilot lights. Sometimes it doesn' eben light and it has to try again.

I have taken the ignitor assembly out, cleaned it, tested it. I have a nice strong spark on the ignitor (bright blue), There does not seem to be any obstruction in the has line either.

I am wondering if maybe the gas flow down the pilot tube is not strong enough, is it possible to adjust this? The gas control valve is a honeywell and there appear to be soem adjustments on it.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I had a furnace guy in last year about something else and asked him abou this, he tried it and it worked fine so he did not think there was a problem...

Thanks in advance!
D in Mtl

dmanmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanmtl View Post
I have a heil furnace - about 15 years old (natural gas) . This furnace has the type of ignition system that light a pilot light electronically and then the pilot lights the main burners.

The problem is that often (about half the time) the ignitor snaps for a full 30 seconds before the pilot lights. Sometimes it doesn' eben light and it has to try again.

I have taken the ignitor assembly out, cleaned it, tested it. I have a nice strong spark on the ignitor (bright blue), There does not seem to be any obstruction in the has line either.

I am wondering if maybe the gas flow down the pilot tube is not strong enough, is it possible to adjust this? The gas control valve is a honeywell and there appear to be soem adjustments on it.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I had a furnace guy in last year about something else and asked him abou this, he tried it and it worked fine so he did not think there was a problem...

Thanks in advance!
D in Mtl
anyone?

dmanmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #3

When you cleaned the pilot did you clean the pilot orfice. Not blow it out actually run a piece of wire through it. A single strand from stranded wire or a wire brush work well. Do not ream the orfice out. Find something that will fit.
JohnH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #4

I have the same problem. All I'm currently getting is lots of nice blue spark but no pilot on. I have replaced the spark ignitor I bought at Grainger and replaced the stupid 'ol Smart Valve that I bought on ebay. The ignitor came with a new pilot oriface. Still, lots of spark but no pilot light on. I checked the pilot line with a rubber hose on one end into a container of water and gas was coming out. By the way, I removed the line and cleaned it out with some brake cleaner and forced air with my compressor to make sure there was no junk in it. Replaced it and no luck. I was thinking the control board but the fact that gas is coming out it should be a good sign. It doesn't make sense to replace it since I can't get that dam pilot on. Are there any sensors in the unit? If so where? I know there is one round one nearby but I hesitate on buying another. Any suggestions? PLease help.
air_etner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:55 AM   #5

First you have to ensure your orifice is really clean. You can check this by cycling the heat on and use a Bar-b-que light to see if it lights the pilot.

If it does more than likely your board is bad.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
AKA HVACTECHFW

the pilot pressure could be to little or too much, or the ignitor electrode may need adjustment to the pilot hood.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

did they send you a pilot assy with propane orifice ?? If you have good spark & good gas it should light. Make sure to get all the air out of valve & pilot tubing

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote