Heil Furnace, Flashing 6+1 Code - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM   #1
DIY Newb

Rewards Points: 10

Heil furnace, flashing 6+1 code

I have been having an intermittent problem with my furnace for the past couple months it seems.

Thermostat will click on, I hear the first motor kick on (inducer motor, I believe it's called), it runs for about a minute or so, and then turns off. Blower motor never kicks on. I checked the LED last time this happened and it was blinking 6 and then 1. Looking around online, this seems to mean that it is in a soft lockout for 3 hours due to not being able to start after 4 tries.

If I turn down the thermostat for a couple minutes, the code goes away and the LED goes back to pulsating (normal.) I then turn the thermostat back up and the furnace starts up and runs just fine.

This has happened maybe 3 or 4 times in the past 2-3 months. Last month my blower fan burnt out. That, along with the fan board, was replaced. I was hoping that was linked to this issue somehow, but this has happened twice now since that repair.

I'd like to fix whatever the issue is before it dies completely and leaves me freezing in the January cold.

Looking around online, I'm getting a little scared because it seems that the 6+1 soft lockout code is fairly generic and the problem could be a million different things.

Is there any decisive way of diagnosing an intermittent problem like this? Am I stuck with just guess and test; having parts cleaned/replaced until it goes away?

Thanks in advance for any feedback! It is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

z33tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

A model number would help. I think the blower might be a significant clue. Could have looked out cause of low air flow if the the filter was dirty or your ac coil is plugged up.

Advertisement

z33tec (01-05-2011)
Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
DIY Newb

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
A model number would help. I think the blower might be a significant clue. Could have looked out cause of low air flow if the the filter was dirty or your ac coil is plugged up.
Thanks for the feedback. I can grab the model number when I get home tonight.

I think I can rule out at least the filter, because I had changed it right before it happened the first time. Changed it again the other day, and it wasn't very dirty.

It is a Heil furnace with the Honeywell smartvalve - which I have been told are basically completely pieces of junk that have lots of problems.

When you say the blower could be a clue.. do you mean the fact that it seized and had to be replaced? Or that it's not making it to the point that it kicks on?

I will have to have someone take a look at the AC coil as that sounds like something I don't want to mess with on my own.

It's a 2 stage ignition(I think that's what it's called), which uses a hot surface to light the pilot, which then lights the burners. I was thinking it might be an ignition problem but since I can't force the problem to happen, I have no way of knowing if the burners are lighting or not. I don't think they are, but I can't be 100% sure.

Hopefully it is just a matter of something needing to be cleaned rather than replaced.
z33tec is offline   Reply With Quote