Heil Furnace Exhaust Fan Replacement DIY? - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heil furnace exhaust fan replacement DIY?

My exhaust fan motor has gotten really whiny on my 10 year propane Heil furnace. It looks very easy to replace. There are 4 screws holding the whole unit on and 3 wires to disconnect (a ground and a plus and minus). Also there is a rubber coupling tube on the exhaust pipe. Is this a fairly simple fix as it appears to be? Are there any safety steps to take first? centervilledon

Advertisement

centervilledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

If the fan is making noise it's probably time for an overall inspection of the unit anyway. I'd call in a HVAC guy to replace the fan and do a full service call. But to answer your question if you do decide to do anything make sure all power and gas is turned off to the unit before doing anything. I'd start in the morning on a weekday and have the phone number for a local hvac guy handy. Sounds simple - might be, might not. It would really stink to have your heat out for a night in December. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out!

Advertisement

Skipperjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by centervilledon View Post
My exhaust fan motor has gotten really whiny on my 10 year propane Heil furnace. It looks very easy to replace. There are 4 screws holding the whole unit on and 3 wires to disconnect (a ground and a plus and minus). Also there is a rubber coupling tube on the exhaust pipe. Is this a fairly simple fix as it appears to be? Are there any safety steps to take first? centervilledon
I have replaced mine (Kenmore/Heil-Quaker 92% efficiency) twice since installed 1990. If yours is like mine- a gray or black pvc fanbox about 8" in diameter (shown) lying flat connected to a 2" pvc exhaust pipe and a 1.5" intake hose. What happened is that the fan turbine warped then comes in contact with the housing which melts or scrapes by friction as it is a high speed fan.
There is a low voltage sensor which is relocated to the new fan, a rubber suction tube which is simply placed on the new fan and a few wires to be one-for-one replaced. A suggestion before you do anything- always shut off the power and take a few digital pictures for reference before you remove anything both for the hoses and also the electrical connections. In my case there is not any need to turn off the gas to the heater but you might feel safer if you do.
Attached Images

Tags
furnace repair diy