Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:13 PM   #1

Share |

HEIL furnace burner replacement needed

Our church has a Heil HVAC unit (all one pc.) Model PGAA60GIK4 and it burns propane. It's got a series of seven burners and all of these are connected to a panel attached with two screws on each end. I'd like to know if this can be replaced completely and an estimate (on the high end) what I should be looking at being a reasonable replacement cost. I need to get this done ASAP. Please advise

KenHales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:07 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

The burners can be replaced. Cost will depend on the contractor. It varies greatly by area.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
KenHales (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 06:37 AM   #3

why do you need to replace them...remove them they can be cleaned in put back into service if just dirty....what is the problem..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
KenHales (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #4

Thanks beenthere!

Ben's Plumbing, I'm not a certified service man. I'm hoping what you suggested is what will be our fix! If I can find a reputable service company in my area that will work with us to get the system running with minimum cost (first) I'll be thrilled! Thanks...I'm in the Spartanburg, SC area in case anyone knows someone who is an honorable service person.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
why do you need to replace them...remove them they can be cleaned in put back into service if just dirty....what is the problem..
Propane tends to rust them out.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to beenthere For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Propane tends to rust them out.
yes I know that ..but he didn't explain what the problem is with furnace and what makes him think he needs new burnners.... alot of times if not taken care of burnners will get dirty and not allow flame to jump to other burnner...causing ignition problems...???????thanks for the reminder though.....like i said someone here is always thinking...Ben

Last edited by ben's plumbing; 12-16-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #7

Thanks Ben!

Our service man said three of the seven elements in the burner are collapsed (I'm assuming due to rust caused by the propane?) I've got a service man coming out to inspect and I'll be there this time to see for myself what's causing the problem. If it looks like they aren't collapsed but just need a good cleaning we'll go that route but at least I'll know what the disassembly and install looks like and will know what to order if needed. Sorry I gave such vague info.

By the way, I've lived in Meadville and love deer hunting and I'm a Steelers fan (I Love PA). You guys have been very helpful, Thanks!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
Hvac Pro

Get him to CAREFULLY check the heat exchanger for cracks once the burners are removed. Those units are prone to heat exchangers getting rusted thru from being exposed to outdoor moisture etc. That can be VERY serious and deadly if it gets carbonned up/heat exchanger passages partly plugged with rust etc as the gas does not burn cleanly and CO (Carbon monoxide) gets produced. If it is a package unit that sits outdoors I would get him to remove the top and do a carefull inspection even if it takes an extra hour. Safety comes first, not saving $$.

Last edited by yuri; 12-18-2011 at 06:15 AM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenHales View Post
Thanks Ben!

Our service man said three of the seven elements in the burner are collapsed (I'm assuming due to rust caused by the propane?) I've got a service man coming out to inspect and I'll be there this time to see for myself what's causing the problem. If it looks like they aren't collapsed but just need a good cleaning we'll go that route but at least I'll know what the disassembly and install looks like and will know what to order if needed. Sorry I gave such vague info.

By the way, I've lived in Meadville and love deer hunting and I'm a Steelers fan (I Love PA). You guys have been very helpful, Thanks!
no problem Iwas responding to beenthere reminding us about rust..I have never seen the burnners collasped...i have seen them rust and clog...and by all means follow yuri in having that heat exchanger checked.... I think heil was and innter city product that did have problems with exchangers...GO PITTSHURGH STEELERS>>>
Old 12-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #10

Thanks All! Have a Merry Christmas.