Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #1

Share |

Heil furnace about 22 yrs old

HELP!!!!...I have about a 22 yrs old Heil furnace..the red light will keep blinking with NO breaks after 3 restarts...I took out thermocoupler and cleaned it...put it back in and still no go...glow heater heats up...then i get flames for about 2-3 seconds..Bought a new thermo coupler and installed it...it fired right up and worked for about an hour on and off restarting fine....then it started to do the same thing with 2-3 second flames....im sure it is the thermo..as it seems the thermo isnt getting hot enought to keep system going..I took a torch and heated up thermo as it was starting up...it then kept running...but once it shuts down it goes back to 2-3 second flames and locks out...did i mabe get a bad thermo to replace my bad 1???..I moved it around to get in the flames as best as possiable

getchya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #2
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchya1
HELP!!!!...I have about a 22 yrs old Heil furnace..the red light will keep blinking with NO breaks after 3 restarts...I took out thermocoupler and cleaned it...put it back in and still no go...glow heater heats up...then i get flames for about 2-3 seconds..Bought a new thermo coupler and installed it...it fired right up and worked for about an hour on and off restarting fine....then it started to do the same thing with 2-3 second flames....im sure it is the thermo..as it seems the thermo isnt getting hot enought to keep system going..I took a torch and heated up thermo as it was starting up...it then kept running...but once it shuts down it goes back to 2-3 second flames and locks out...did i mabe get a bad thermo to replace my bad 1???..I moved it around to get in the flames as best as possiable
What's your model number? Also put up some pictures of unit with doors off.

HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #3

model NUGS07BG02...not sure how to post pics on here tho
Old 10-19-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Experienced HVAC Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchya1
model NUGS07BG02...not sure how to post pics on here tho
That unit has a flame rod and uses flame rectification rather than a thermocouple. I'm saying this mostly so we can all keep our terms straight and not get confused later on.
It is very unlikely that the new one is bad out of the box but not impossible so let's rule out everything else first. Does the main fan come on or stay on when the flame goes out?
HVAC1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:29 AM   #5

stays on after flame is out...just wonder why as it starts up...fan gets going..then the glow element heats up...then i get flames for 2-3 seconds...flames then go out...it will do this about 3 cycles then fan will stay on,but not try to re-fire.....IF i start it over and get fan going...then get glow element hot...just as gas is going in and flame starts...IF i put a torch to the FLAME ROD while the flame is going for about 4 extra seconds it will then continue to run and heat up and blow heat..UNTIL the desired temp is met in the home ..but then it will not restart again on its own like it should...but will go back to my same problem
Old 10-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by getchya1 View Post
stays on after flame is out...just wonder why as it starts up...fan gets going..then the glow element heats up...then i get flames for 2-3 seconds...flames then go out...it will do this about 3 cycles then fan will stay on,but not try to re-fire.....IF i start it over and get fan going...then get glow element hot...just as gas is going in and flame starts...IF i put a torch to the FLAME ROD while the flame is going for about 4 extra seconds it will then continue to run and heat up and blow heat..UNTIL the desired temp is met in the home ..but then it will not restart again on its own like it should...but will go back to my same problem
make sure flame rod is fully engulfed in pilot assy ..pilot may need cleaned...ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #7
Hvac Pro

post a well lit closeup pic of the flame rod and pilot.

click Go advanced box> manage attachments then upload it from your computer as a jpeg
Old 10-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #8

More than likely a dirty pilot orifice. You can sometimes clean it with a wire pulled from a wire brush or a small needle.

firedawgsatx is online now   Reply With Quote