Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Heil fan and motor replacement

Last Sunday I heard thru the duct work my Heil Heat Pump making some unusual noises,like a bearing going out and scraping metal to metal. Thought it might be the fan motor and fan making the racket. That night it quit working.

Monday morning called a repairman. Figured it would run about $250-300 to fix. He came out and said bad fan and fan motor. Just what I thought. - Replacement cost - $779. I choked on my spittle and decided to do it myself.

Got a new Heil replacement motor from a local motor repair shop for $380. High cost due to the fan motor being 1 Hp and having a 5/8 shaft. Unusual for a heat pump but my unit is a 6 Ton.

Called a friend in the HVAC business and he got me the fan for $62.89.

Next day installed the fan and motor and a new capacitor ($10). turned it on and everything worked fine. I thought. Later i found that the Heat strips were not heating up. Thermostat was calling for aux heat, circuit breakers were on, the heat strips were just not working. Could be in the thermostat. Don't have an answer yet.

I didn't do anything to the heat strips. The repairman looked at the panel with all the electrical relays, etc, but to my knowledge didn't touch anything. I looked and didn't see any obvious problems like breakers off or wire disconnects. No burn marks on the relays. All I did was replace the fan and motor.

Anyone have any suggestions or info on what might be wrong?

pinkertonpv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 2,724

You bumped a wire somewhere.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #3

Beenthere; Maybe so. I will recheck everything. However, the fan motor and housing is separate from the rest of the unit. there are only two wires coming into the area and enter through a sheet metal wall. they are the yellow com and the black power wires and connect directly to the motor receptical. Didn't do any work eslewhere other than to take off the front panel covering the breakers, relays and other such stuff. I didn't do anything there. The repairman may have but I didn't see him do it. Could have bumped a wire there and will check on it.

Thanks for your response.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Where is the cap mounted?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #5

Beenthere; Capacitor for fan motor is mounted on the fan housing. Just went out and checked the wiring. still couldn't see anything that looked wrong or loose. Tripped the circuit breakers several times inside the front panel where the power connects to the heat strips and the relays. Also tripped the outside electrical shutoff to the heat strips and also the inside house circuitbreaker for the heat strips. They seem to be working now. Maybe the inside house C/B was tripped although it didn't look it. still all the way closed to the on side. It was the only one I hadn't tripped several times before.

My thermostat is the digital programable kind whis is set to lower the temp of the house at night and raise it back up early morning. in the morning the heat strips should come on. We'll see if they are working now. Could be they were drawing too much current last night and tripped the inside breaker. we'll see.

I had to replace that breaker last year. House is 40 years old. Heil is 6 yrs old.

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

If you have a heat pump with electric aux heat.
Don't set the temp back more then 2 at night.
You don't save any money when the strip heaters have to come on to recover from set back. In fact, you use more electric that way.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

if the unit was allowed to operate even for a short time without proper airflow and the heatstrips were operating the fuseable links may have opened. if you have power 240v from one side of one element to the other side and no amperage than either the element is broken or the fuseable links are open as i am unaware of your skill level i would recommend calling someone at that point as removal of the heat strips will be required to diagnose and repair

n/m i didnt read your entire post where you got them working happy holidays

Last edited by kennzz05; 12-10-2009 at 09:13 PM.
kennzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote