Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #1

Share |

Heil A/C Evaporator Blower Noisy

Hello-

I have a Heil Central A/C system installed in 1989. Condenser model number CA5060QKA1. Evaporator model number BCMO60XKA1.

The evaporator blower has recently gotten noisy. I went up into the attic to inspect. The overall unit hanger rods are all fine. The three rubber shock mounts underneath the blower assembly seem fine. But it vibrates like it never did before.

I fear that the fan or fan-motor bearings are going south.

Any other diagnosis?

Any ideas on where I can I can source parts for this unit?

Thanks!

cgoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoll View Post
Hello-

I have a Heil Central A/C system installed in 1989. Condenser model number CA5060QKA1. Evaporator model number BCMO60XKA1.

The evaporator blower has recently gotten noisy. I went up into the attic to inspect. The overall unit hanger rods are all fine. The three rubber shock mounts underneath the blower assembly seem fine. But it vibrates like it never did before.

I fear that the fan or fan-motor bearings are going south.

Any other diagnosis?

Any ideas on where I can I can source parts for this unit?

Thanks!
shut it down and check in the blower wheel assy for foreign object....paper.mouse, stickers from inside cabinet....

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #3

Vibration can be caused by a multitude of things. Blower wheels have weights on then which can come off in some circumstances, mounting bolts or screws can come loose. Inspect the blower when off for any debris which may have gotten into the cage. Can you safely view it while it is running?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #4

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I can't really see inside the fan/blower wheel assembly. It doesn't seem/sound like a foreign object problem. I did have the covers off while I shut down/restarted the unit. It shudders a lot on both start-up and shut down. When running steady it vibrates more than previously. Kids are in bed so I can't get any pics just now.

System is working fine; outlet temps between 48 and 54 F; good air flow; just noisy upstairs.

Any thoughts on whether I have any chance of getting replacement parts for this 23 year old unit? I sure hope so!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. I can't really see inside the fan/blower wheel assembly. It doesn't seem/sound like a foreign object problem. I did have the covers off while I shut down/restarted the unit. It shudders a lot on both start-up and shut down. When running steady it vibrates more than previously. Kids are in bed so I can't get any pics just now.

System is working fine; outlet temps between 48 and 54 F; good air flow; just noisy upstairs.

Any thoughts on whether I have any chance of getting replacement parts for this 23 year old unit? I sure hope so!
yes motors and blower wheels you can still purchase....ww grainger...johnstone sypply...or another hvac parts store..
Old 07-14-2012, 11:35 PM   #6

I looked up Grainger's web site and found literally hundreds of blower units. Their phone line 24/7 customer support could not provide a direct matchbased on my model number and suggested calling their tech support during normal business hours. But they were very nice for a midnite call...

Johnstone's website does not, as far as I see, show specific blower assemblies.

Any more thoughts?

Grainger blower units that looked similar ranged from $87 to $657 or so. I probably don't want to tackle this myself unless I can get a confident answer on what part to order and what it takes to R&R.

Again, thanks for your help!
Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #7

Quote:
I looked up Grainger's web site and found literally hundreds of blower units. Their phone line 24/7 customer support could not provide a direct matchbased on my model number and suggested calling their tech support during normal business hours. But they were very nice for a midnite call...

Johnstone's website does not, as far as I see, show specific blower assemblies.

Any more thoughts?

Grainger blower units that looked similar ranged from $87 to $657 or so. I probably don't want to tackle this myself unless I can get a confident answer on what part to order and what it takes to R&R.

Again, thanks for your help!
you can get motor information from your assy...not bad to pull blower assy should have 2- screws left and right on blower arms remove them slide unit out...get info off motor grainger will have a motor to fit...
Old 07-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #8

Well, guess what -- the blower p00ped the bed sometime between 8 am and 7 pm today. Dang.

Called in an HVAC guy at 7:05 who showed up at 9 pm. Wow! Kudos for responsiveness! He confirmed the diagnosis of bad blower motor.

However, he also said there was no P-trap on the condensate line. I will open a new thread on that issue.

I will also report back on this thread the outcome of the issue.

Thanks again for the replies!

Last edited by cgoll; 07-16-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #9

Glad it's gettng taken care of. And all condensate lines do not require a trap. Put your thumb over the end of the pipe when it's running...if it blows air you do not need a trap, if it sucks air you do. Blower placement is what determines this.