Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2008, 04:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

heil 90+ pilot will not light

I have a Heil 90+ furnace with intermitent type pilot light, which wiil not light. I turn the furnace on, all the blowers come on, the ignighter sparks -- no flame. The pilot line has gas to it. It seems like its to drafty by the pilot burner assy. Furnace is 24 yrs old.

bieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Time to check teh heat exchanger.
Also, why is the blower coming on.
Shouldn't come on right away.

beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 AM   #3

I'm not a HVAC technician but I had a similar problem a few year ago. It turned out to be the heat exchanger had rusted out. Time to get a new furnace and most importantly a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Not to be an alarmist but, you could also be getting carbon monoxide poisoning as a result; it happened to me.

Following from eMedicine Health website:
Carbon monoxide (sometimes referred to as CO) is a colorless, odorless gas produced by burning material containing carbon. Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause brain damage and death. You can't see it, smell it, or taste it; but carbon monoxide can kill you.
  • Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. This odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas is known as the "Silent Killer." The Centers for Disease Control estimates that carbon monoxide poisoning claims nearly 500 lives, and causes more than 15,000 visits to hospital emergency departments annually.
  • Carbon monoxide is produced by common household appliances. When not properly ventilated, carbon monoxide emitted by these appliances can build up.
  • Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning such as headaches, nausea, and fatigue, are often mistaken for the flu because the deadly gas goes undetected in a home. Prolonged exposure can lead to brain damage and even death.
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #4

The primary heat exchanger was changed out when it was about 5 years old as Heil determined it was defective. I'm not sure but I thought the replacement was stainless steel. What do you mean "teh" heat exchanger? With this model the blower comes on right after the induced draft motor. Thanks for the warning about CO. The house is vacant at this time. I will get a CO monitor.
bieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

LOL...

"Teh" is my fingers not moving to where they belong when I want to type "The"
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #6

I'm not a HVAC technician, so I can only relate to you a similar problem I had. I also now have a Heil furnace which I like very much with the stainless steel heat exchanger. My previous 15+ year old furnace didn't have a stainless steel heat exchanger that I'm aware of as it rusted through letting exhaust gases mix with room air. This was a mixed blessing because when the fan came on to blow the heated air through the ducts it was blowing out the flame, or so I was told. My homeowners insurance company sent their own technician out to confirm the problem.

BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote