Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #1

Share |

HEIL 5000 Furnace Problem

Hi All,
Had something of a freak occurrence a week ago. The furnace circuit has a common neutral with another 120v circuit in the house. The neutral opened up due to a surge causing 240v to be applied to the furnace (it blew out a computer too). Of course now that the circuits have been fixed the furnace is not responding in anyway. It was not running at the time of the open neutral so I am hoping that a transformer is simply blown. (Circuit breaker and voltages are ok.) Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Bill
bwalters108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

You may be out of luck. Modern circuit boards are grounded to the furnace chassis and the secondary side of the transformer. Surges can blow circuit boards. Even w/o a neutral there is still a circuit to ground. Sorry.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 PM   #3

Thanks very much for your response. I measured 240 volts at the outlet the furnace was plugged into (before the circuit was fixed). Also thought i smelled smoke when I opened the door to the furnace enclosure. So no doubt 240 got applied to some component of the furnace. So you are saying that it would likely be more than the transformer that got fried and probably includes control circuitry? What would you suggest as a way to test that? Can you recommend where I can obtain parts for this model?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:12 PM   #4
Hvac Pro

How old is it? Post some pics of it with both doors off. There are LOTS of different versions of Heil/ICPs out there. Where do you live.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Good chance it took out the transformer, and control board.

Did you check to see if there is a fuse on the board that may be blown.

Get your meter out and start checking componets.
beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #6

I am located in Placentia, California. Here are pictures of the Heil High Efficiency 5000 furnace. I do not know its age. I measured zero volts on the terminal board (terminals designated as W, Y, R, G & C). The hot (black) 120V lead coming from the house appears to first go to a component that I suppose is a circuit breaker or a fuse. It has a long white spring loaded button protruding from the front of the transformer assembly. I tested the continuity through it and found that it is open in the out position and makes contact in the in position, however the button will only remain in the out position as shown in the pic. It appears to be easily replaceable. I would think this is the first thing that needs to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
HEIL 5000 Furnace Problem-100_1715.jpg   HEIL 5000 Furnace Problem-100_1716.jpg  
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Hvac Pro

That white button is a door switch to prevent furnace from running w/o the door. That furnace is 20 yrs old or older. IMO it is not worth spending a lot of $$ on because the heat exchanger may be cracked or crack soon. We sold lots of them where I am and only about 10-15% are still in use. I am pretty sure the burners are obsolete. Once a furnace has water damage or a SERIOUS power surge it is unsafe IMO. Critical controls may be damaged and w/o a licensed tech to check everything it is unsafe IMO. Not worth endangering your family's safety.

Last edited by yuri; 03-16-2010 at 06:12 PM.
yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

if you are lucky it only ruined the transformer, but it probably got the board
richiemoe is offline   Reply With Quote