Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 10:37 AM   #1

Share |

Heatpump Making strange oscillations

My heat pump this morning was sounding like it was laboring..

Please see this video:

Any idea what this means? It was also putting out no heat..

This video was in defrost cycle, but only in backup heat mode of the defrost cycle was it putting out any heat (because the furnace is running..)

It's done this before, if I let it sit it tends to recover and go back to quiet operation..

zootjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zootjeff View Post
My heat pump this morning was sounding like it was laboring..
I guess this must be normal. Sometimes it is really quite, sometimes it's really loud.. Just the way heatpumps work..

Old 01-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #3

What Brand is the heatpump? How old is it?
Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #4

I'm sorry for not watching the video before posting the previous reply. The problem you have is a sticking reversing valve. You can prove this by finding something to tap on the reversing valve while it is in defrost mode. Note: don't try this during normal heating as you would have to disable the outside condenser fan. (evaporator in heating mode). Let me know if this clears up the modulating sound. If it does I will tell what I did to fix mine without replacing the valve. It may work for you.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #5

What causes a sticking valve? Is too much charge in the system a potential?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #6

No. I checked my unit and it was charged properly. From the video I'm assuming you have a R410a system. Goodman purchased some faulty Dunan brand valves made in china. They have a service bulletin for the valve in question SR-036 (see the link below). Its possible a subpar lineset installation may have introduced some particles into the system also. If you have this valve, which I believe you do, you only have two choices 1) Have a service technician install a new one. This will certainly fix the problem and you will probably get the part under warranty, but the labor will be hundreds of dollars unless you purchased an extended labor warranty or 2) You can DIY or have a sercive tech inject an 4oz can of "Zerol Ice" in liquid form which is a compatable additive. After injecting the additive you must exercise the valve. To do this you need to force or wait until the unit goes into a defrost cycle and then remove the valve coil control wire from the defrost board and touch it back to the connector. This will remove and provide the 24 volt power to the valve. Please wait until the valve completly shifts. Do this a few times to ensure proper operation of the valve. It may take a few days and you may have to repeat the valve exercise process, but once the additive gets into the system it should lubricate the valve enough to ensure proper operation.
http://www.waroosevelt.com/dealers/service_bulletins/[COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]index[/COLOR][/COLOR]

.html
Old 01-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #7

Can you try that link again? I can't see it..
Old 01-07-2011, 06:26 PM   #8

Cool!

I figured out the link.

Is it going to hurt the heatpump to run it in this funky mode? Am I shaving months/years off the life of the unit?

Also, I got a SSZ140301A - Goodman 2.5 Ton 14 SEER Heat Pump Condensing Unit, R410A Refrigerant and it was ordered in June of 2009.

-Jeff

Last edited by zootjeff; 01-07-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 PM   #9

http://www.waroosevelt.com/dealers/s...ins/index.html

If it dosen't work, try coping it and paste in your browser.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM   #10

It shouldn't, but it has to be in that state to test the reversing valve (by tapping on it). The compressor has internal protections and the system has high and low pressure cutout switches. The Zerol Ice additive should add life to the whole system as well as the compressor.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #11

Added Note: You should have a lifetime warranty on the compressor anyway.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #12

Jeff, You have the exact same unit as I do.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:52 PM   #13

so adding in that additive is not going to void warranty? I don't know anything about normal heat pump operation but the one on that video does not sound right at all and if it were mine, I wouldn't run it until someone who is a pro offers an opinion.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #14

Might be a good idea to have someone check it out. Please keep this in mind. I called a respected HVAC contractor to check my unit out at first. The technician told me he had tested the reversing valve and it was good (wrong!) and I had a bad compressor. I couldn't believe that a one and a half year old compressor was bad. That is when I decided to test it myself.
When I found out the real problem, I called and got a refund ($85). Believe me, you have a sticking reversing valve. As to the additive warranty issue, if you do have an issue at a later date, don't mention it.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:33 PM   #15
AKA HVACTECHFW

normal defrost sound.