Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2008, 03:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Heatpump Issues

Having recently moved to TN this is my first experience with having a heat pump system.

My problem is that from time to time when the unit is set to AC the main cold air return and some of the floor ducts blow out very warm and humid air. After a period it ceases doing that and appears to function normally. This does not happen all of the time. I was not aware of the floor vents doing this til the wife mentioned it. The large cold air return is a major culprit in this situation.

The home and the system are only 2 yrs old prox. The home has a crawl space and all of the ducts are in there.

printman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 PM   #2
Ouch!That'll leave a mark

Rewards Points: 25

Heatpump Issues

I'm having trouble picturing a return air grill blowing air at all. A return will always be a vacuum. Not a pressure. Maybe a bad start capacitor on the blower motor, and its starts in reverse? from a draft????

ridgevilleac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
oops, did I do that!

Rewards Points: 250

Heatpump Issues

If the air is FORCEFULLY coming out of both the supply and return grilles, maybe outdoor air is being blown into the house from something other than your hvac equipment.

It would be impossible for your equipment to deliver positive pressure to both the supply and return at the same time.

Your heat strip could be energized during the off cycle, that would be dangerous. Call a pro, have it checked.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote