Heating Zones And Efficency - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 12:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Heating Zones and Efficency

Regarding heating zones, I'm trying to figure if having only one heating zone would be more efficient than having 2. In my oil boiler system, there's 2 zones, one for the bedrooms and the other for the rest of the house. Each zone is controlled by its own thermostat. I've noticed that the boiler seem to turn on when either thermostat calls for heat. Would it make more sense to open the control valve for the second bedroom zone, disable the second thermostat, and therefore have the same temperature throughout the house? I'm not concerned about keeping the bedrooms warmer or colder than the rest of the house since it's 1 story.

Advertisement

matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
Regarding heating zones, I'm trying to figure if having only one heating zone would be more efficient than having 2. In my oil boiler system, there's 2 zones, one for the bedrooms and the other for the rest of the house. Each zone is controlled by its own thermostat. I've noticed that the boiler seem to turn on when either thermostat calls for heat. Would it make more sense to open the control valve for the second bedroom zone, disable the second thermostat, and therefore have the same temperature throughout the house? I'm not concerned about keeping the bedrooms warmer or colder than the rest of the house since it's 1 story.
Ayuh,... There's several ways to go about wiring/ plumbin' yer system....

If the boiler is lightin' off, it might be wired to build heat from the T-stat input,...
Or,...
My boiler will only light off, 'n build heat if the aqua-stat drops below it's low set temp....
The boiler's core temp controls the burner...

Both of my T-stats only control a relay, which turns on only the circulator pump it's hooked to...

The burner Only fires if the aqua-stat falls below it's set temp...

If either circulator moves colder water to the boiler, it's gotta light...
On mine, the Dhw coil will lower the boiler temp, 'n cause the burner to light...

Also, my zones are controlled/ fed by pumps, not valves...

It all comes down to what yer startin' with, to answer yer question, Directly....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
how

Rewards Points: 634

In 95 % of the residential boilers that I've seen with 2 zones, you can simply manually lock open one zone valve and turn down the thermostat that operates it. The other thermostat will call for heat when needed and the heated water will flow through both zones. The exception to this can be if you have two pumps on your boiler system but it won't hurt anything to try it out.
But..
If one zone is the one you normally spend more of your time in and is that same zone that has a higher heat rquirement, then you are going to spend more money on fuel by heating the other zone to the same heating level. 2 thermostats and 2 zones can also balance out temp differences in a house more effectively than one so you may find a less even heat distribution.
how is offline   Reply With Quote