Heating Unit In The Attic Bad Idea? Part Of House On Slab - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 93
Question

Heating Unit in the Attic Bad Idea? Part of House on Slab

Hi everyone, I am in the processes of buy a home that is partially on a slab. The place currently uses electrical and I will be switching over to gas. With that being said I will be installing a new heating system.

Being that part of the place is on a slab, I thought it would make sense to have the heating unit in the attic. But I have read that is probably not a good idea since hot air tends to rise etc. Plus I would have to fire proof and water proof some of the attic.

If I go ahead and install the heating system in the basement I would have to somehow run the duct work up to the first floors ceiling since part of it is on a slab.

Just wanted to get some feedback and/or thoughts about running such a system. It seems to me that running the line all the way upto to the ceiling from the basement, there would be a lot of waste over the course.

Advertisement

cloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 862

Who the heck wants to work on an attic unit when it is 140 degF up there? I would put it in the basement and if you can spare an old closet/chase or frame the ducts in a corner (build a chase) then you can use that idea. Most modern furnaces have more powerful blowers. Ie if you order a Lennox G51MP you can get a 2ton blower(-24) or a 3 ton (-36) for a few $$ more. That can overcome some duct issues. The ECM fan motors are even better and more powerful.

Advertisement

yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

IMHO there's no worse place to install an HVAC unit then the attic. It's a PIA to install, service and replace. If it's the summer the contractors will hate your job and rush to complete it. (or punish you will higher bills)

You'll need condensate pans, pumps and elaborate secondary warning systems. If these fail then it'll rain condensate thru your ceiling.
hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 93

Thanks for the reply hennyh. It does sound somewhat cumbersome. I guess I am going to have to figure out how to route the ducting from the basement to the ceilings of the first floor. Just thinking about lugging the unit into the attic sounds like a pain in the tail!
cloves is offline   Reply With Quote