Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #1

Share |

Heating two rooms off one duct

We are finishing our basement. I am wondering if I can steal heat off of a duct that goes to the main floor laundry room. I am trying to heat a small bathroom in the basement and the laundry is a very small room. I would be splitting the duct right at the end to where it goes up into laundry.
Any feedback is appreciated.

vman357m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

What size is that duct that goes to the laundry room?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #3

Six inch duct. Laundry room is 6x6. Bathroom will be 6x12
Thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #4

It's rarely a good idea to split a duct. A laundry room requires a LOT of cooling, so that 6" duct is probably about right for a room that small. You'd be much better off running a new duct from the plenum of the furnace for that bath.

Also - is this the ONLY room you're planning on conditioning? If not, and if you're planning on heating/cooling a much larger space than you're doing now, then also consider that your hvac system was designed to heat and cool a specific amount of square footage. Adding additional sq ft can tax your system, and result in poor performance everywhere.
scottmcd9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #5

we never split a 6" run ....install seperate run works best..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman357m View Post
We are finishing our basement. I am wondering if I can steal heat off of a duct that goes to the main floor laundry room. I am trying to heat a small bathroom in the basement and the laundry is a very small room. I would be splitting the duct right at the end to where it goes up into laundry.
Any feedback is appreciated.
All you can do is try it. Basements fortunately are fairly temperate because of there proximity in the ground. If the "stolen" heat isn't enough you can supplement it with a small wall heater. Will you have access for wiring when the basement is completed?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
E2 Electrician

And im sure the plenum was already sized for the upstairs... so what ever route you take, you will be affecting what was already designed to heat the existing space.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #8

vman...What is the current temperature conditions in the laundry room? Does it overheat, overcool? That may be an indicator as to what to expect if you do the change you are planning. What else if finished in the lower level? What else is conditioned?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

IMO, I would add a second heating/cooling system for the basement, a split ductless system would be ideal... or add a second zone off the existing plenum if this is possible...
Old 08-07-2012, 06:51 PM   #10

House was built in 2005, Ranch style 1500 sq ft main level. Finished basement will be around 1000 sq ft.We bought it two years ago and the guy we bought it from already had it framed, Plumbing in place for bathroom and wet bar. And duct run to all rooms except that bathroom. One duct in bedroom, two in the family room and three to large bar / game room area. Both my neighbor guys said to just "steal" the air/heat from the laundry room duct. I wanted some other opinions because if I need to come directly from the plenum I would rather do it now than later. We don't have any rooms in the house that are hotter or colder than others. Seems like the heating cooling system is just fine. But I am not much of a do it yourself, barely know which end of a hammer to hang on to but if there is anything I can do myself I would like to give it a try. The smaller easier jobs anyway. In fact I just learned the other day what a plenum is...Live in Iowa so finished basements in newer houses are common. I would think the builders would put in a big enough furnace knowing that someone would more than likely finish the basement some day?
Thanks for any feedback
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #11

also was planning on putting in heated floor in bathroom but I haven't priced it. So that may not happen
Old 08-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #12

What size is your hvac unit? Sure sounds like everything was thought out already except that bathroom. If the rest of the space is conditioned the it probably won't require too much. I think that sacrificing some of the laundry room conditioning will not be a big deal. Anyway, if you can tell what the size of the unit is it would be helpful.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #13

Not sure where to find that info and exactly what you are looking for. Owners manual says 90 plus single stage catagory IV furnace fan assisted, direct vent gas furnace. Plate says 100,000 btu.
Thanks

Last edited by vman357m; 08-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
E2 Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by vman357m View Post
Not sure where to find that info and exactly what you are looking for. Owners manual says 90 plus single stage catagory IV furnace fan assisted, direct vent gas furnace. Plate says 100,000 btu.
Thanks
The only way is to call someone that can size the additional load on to your existing system. Personally, a zoned system is the way to go with a finished basement, this way you don't over/under cool/heat the zones.