Heating Outlets In Suspended Ceiling - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heating outlets in suspended ceiling

I am finishing my basement (new house), and am looking for suggestions as to how to install the (supply) heating registers. Currently there are six standard 4x10 openings installed between the ceiling joists, obviously intended to be incorporated into a gyproc ceiling.

However, I plan to install a suspended ceiling some 6" below the joists, and am looking for the wherewithal to extend the 5" ducts supplying the current outlets to be flush with the new ceiling. So I have been looking for some kind of diffusers that will mount in the new ceiling grid, that I can connect to the 5" with flexible ductwork. Trouble is, I cannot find any such thing in any of the stores, nor were the associates in the stores able to give any useful suggestions. Yet I have seen 2' x 2' ceiling diffusers installed in offices, etc., although they could be expensive.

How do DIY-ers such as myself normally tackle this problem? What products do they use? Thanks for any suggestions.

Advertisement

macman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 800

google "ceiling diffuser" and hit images, there are hordes of em, also hit web and there are many online suppliers. check graingers

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AGI...m=cpc&utm_term

Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. I guess I had the wrong mindset in that I was looking for something that could mount directly to the ceiling grid. Most of those available seem to mount to a ceiling tile - although I was planning to use the flexible tiles for the ceiling, I can fit a small (e.g. 1' x 1') rigid tile to hold the diffuser, and that will work.

One more question. Is it OK to use the vinyl flexible 5" duct to make the connection between the existing metal 5" duct and the diffuser, or should I use the aluminum? The vinyl would be easier to work with, and will be easier to position the diffuser in the grid and not have it pulled out of place by the (not-very) flexible aluminum duct.

Thanks.
macman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Hvac Pro

Rewards Points: 800

the vinyl will eventually dry out and crack and in theory is combustible and meant for cold air return only so I would not use it. if you are putting in a suspended ceiling it should not be that difficult as you can lift the next tile beside it and work with it that way. metal is better.
macman44 (03-25-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,532

2X2 lay ins. Common at HVAC supply houses.
macman44 (03-25-2013)