Heating Issue! - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Heating Issue!

I have an issue with my installed new (2002) Heil heating and conditioning system. It may be more than one issue. It first started when the backlight on the thermostat started to dim. Soon the light went out and a week or so later I started to look at it to realize the batteries had left some corrsive residue but it was still working (both air and heat). A few days later the only thing I could get to work was the fan. The thermostat would not allow me to even try to over ride and put on hold program for heat or air. Then I bought a new thermostat very similar installed it and still nothing. (the thermostat is believe to be compatiable with my system). I cleaned the corrsive residue on the wire, with finger nail polish remover. I reset the main breakers just in case that shock I felt turned them off. I tried the switch on the left side of the furnance. By trying it, I mean, I turned it to the opposite position for five minutes and then switch it back. The new thermostat responds to my trying to over ride and program but yet no heat, air or fan. Any suggestions!?!

Advertisement

not mechanically inclined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:19 AM   #2

Heating Issue!

Yeah you need to replace those batteries, doesn't the unit tell you this?

But you replaced the thermostat, that is most likely the source of your headache now.

Did the manufacturer of the thermostats match?
Was it specifically for your setup (there must be a dozen different kinds, between a/c only, heat only, heat pump (w/ and w/out Emheat), and what have you, then there are all the different color wires that have to be connected to the correct spot which is labeled with a letter, and it's all very specific... I mean you can't just hook up red to G because the old thermostat was like that, you have to read the owner's manual of the new one, and slowly make a map on paper of how to re-connect each and every wire, one at a time, and you leave your old thermostat connected until the diagram (and you) is ready...

Most often the method is to replace the thermostat with another from the same mfg!
I didn't say it was easy, I said that is the preferred method.

Sorry if that's bad news but it's one of those picky system things.

Advertisement

Last edited by 8307c4; 11-06-2007 at 01:24 AM.
8307c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #3

Heating Issue!

I just had a similar problem and come to find out the door that goes on the furnace didn't have the pressure sensative switch pushed in due to the fact I had the upper panel in the lower panel spot and vice versa. Not sure if yours is as simple as that but thought I'd throw it out there.
DIYDude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #4

Heating Issue!

My furnace won't ignite and I was wondering if there's any way I could start it manually since I don't have any spark.
marconi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote