Heating A Finished Garage In Chicago - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heating a finished garage in Chicago

I have a 2 car garage 24x24 that is finished with Drywall on ceiling and walls. Walls and Ceiling are insulated. I had the floor finished with Commercial Grade epoxy and my garage looks awesome now. The last thing I have to do is heat it. I have run a natural gas connection out to the garage, but haven't figured out what type of heating unit I should look for. any suggestions? My ceiling is only 9 feet so I don't know if I can use infrared. I was trying to get away with not running a venting system.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement

dblckmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 604

Assuming you also have an insulated garage door... I would say just use an electric space heater when you need the garage to be warmed up and spare the $ and complication of installing a gas fired heater. A decent space heater or 2 can get the small volume of a closed garage up to a reasonable temp (assuming it is insulated) in short order. Maybe not toasty warm but plenty warm enough to be in there working on the car or whatever. Anyway, works for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblckmr View Post
I have a 2 car garage 24x24 that is finished with Drywall on ceiling and walls. Walls and Ceiling are insulated. I had the floor finished with Commercial Grade epoxy and my garage looks awesome now. The last thing I have to do is heat it. I have run a natural gas connection out to the garage, but haven't figured out what type of heating unit I should look for. any suggestions? My ceiling is only 9 feet so I don't know if I can use infrared. I was trying to get away with not running a venting system.

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Advertisement

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

i do have a 2 inch insulated garage door. I wanted something off of the floor, as I have small kids.
dblckmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 604

Easy, set the space heater on a shelf. BTW, modern ones that have fans to distribute the heat with airflow, instead of the old direct radiation type, are as kid safe as any electric appliance can be. There are no hot surfaces and they have tip over switches that turn them off if knocked over. In my garage, at least, the space heater would be the least of my worries for kids. Tools, jack stands, power cords, other misc stuff would be much more dangerous. Mine is off limits to the critters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblckmr View Post
i do have a 2 inch insulated garage door. I wanted something off of the floor, as I have small kids.
raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:50 AM   #5
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 172

If you plan to go with a gas furnace I would encourage using a vented heater. I don't care for the non vented gas heaters, the fumes from them really get to me and they dump a tremendous amount of moisture into the space. I have been around several, both portable and permanently installed and just don't find them to be acceptable for my shop.

You can install a heater like this one from northern that has a power vent and can be vented out the wall or the roof. I installed a hanging gas heater that vents through the roof in my shop 20 years ago and could not be happier with the way it works. I keep it 45 degrees all the time and warm it up to 60 when working in it. It only takes a few minutes to raise the temp and I don't get any condensation on my tools.

If you have 240 volt power available in your garage you could use an electric hanging heater. Several friends use this heater to heat their garages. This will easily heat an insulated and finished 2 car garage. It will take a while to warm it up from cold though. If you plan to only heat the garage when you use it the gas heater will warm it up much quicker. There are larger electric units available but the initial cost, the extra power requiring larger wire and operating costs quickly surpass that of a gas unit. Depending on your local rates the gas unit would likely be the cheapest to operate.
iamrfixit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
An old Tradesmen

Rewards Points: 4,734

Hotdawg heater by Modine. Requires venting, but is much better then having high CO levels in your garage killing your family.

Advertisement

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote