Heating Duct Noise - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 621
Rewards Points: 562
Default

Heating duct noise


I bought a 7 year old house last summer. When winter came and the heat turned on, the ducts to my bedroom got very noisy. They were quiet with the A/C on.

I found the large rectangular ducts (obviously I don't know much about HVAC) were made of two pieces of metal, crimped on the two edges where they joined. The crimping was not real tight and they were free to move. I figured the heat for some reason made them move. I put sheet steel screws into the crimps on the ducts going to my bedroom and about 80% of the noise went away. I had to do the entire system to get the remaining 20%.

So my question...
Is this normal or did I get a substandard install? It seems to be a reputable company (on buying the house I found they had vented the furnace wrong. They came back, after 6 years, and replaced all the venting; probably would have cost a couple thousand to hire it done. That's pretty reputable, no?) I can't imagine anyone living with these noises (though my wife isn't sure what I was complaining about) nor can I imagine too many people doing what I did to fix it.

Just trying to make sense of it.

Advertisement


Last edited by Toller; 02-19-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 26,543
Rewards Points: 4,724
Default

Heating duct noise


Its a Pittsburgh seam. May have loosened up over time, and from high static pressure in heat mode.

Advertisement

__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
humming/vibration coming from heating pump lakawak Plumbing 1 01-28-2014 07:49 AM
Is this fiberglass insulation safe (touching heating duct)? nutlog Insulation 6 01-27-2012 08:18 PM
Heating Duct Layout rahimab HVAC 1 01-15-2012 06:01 PM
Heating Duct Ticking Noise mmohanna Building & Construction 6 01-10-2010 01:52 PM
teleposts thru heating duct suks2beme General DIY Discussions 4 01-08-2010 10:54 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts