Heating Duct --- How Hot Is Too Hot? (pic) - HVAC - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Heating duct --- how hot is too hot? (pic)

Unfortunately, I didn't give too much thought at the time but we didn't reroute a 2nd floor heating vent. It's right behind the toilet.....no biggie, the upstairs is mostly unused. I'll plan better next time.

But the house has oil heat with a serious furnace. Last night walked upstairs while it was on and the area around the vent was really hot....below, above, around the vent. Behind the tile is green 1/2 drywall.

Should I be concerned about any affects on the drywall because of the heat? (or surrounding areas)

Advertisement

HautingLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

For starters I'd worry a bit about drying out rubber gromets on the tank to bowl connection and then the wax ring at the base of the toilet leaking. Maybe not an issue but certainly a concern.

Move the duct up above the tank and no problems. Or at the very least look for a duct shut-off going to that register from the basement.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamus View Post
Move the duct up above the tank and no problems. Or at the very least look for a duct shut-off going to that register from the basement.
First thing I did when I got home. There was a single duct that seems to run upstairs to that bath.

Hopefully I'll do better with the next bath
HautingLu is offline   Reply With Quote