Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > HVAC

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 10:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

heating cooling issues/fan?

We have a 1500 sq ft three level house in Oregon that is challenging to heat and cool. There is a daylight basement that is always cool to cold even with baseboard heaters. The first floor does fine most of the year and we have a wood stove that gets it really toasty. Theres also a loft that we use as a family room but gets really hot in the summer. Does anyone have advice on heat transfer fans. ( Tjernkund has one called a level to level transfer) I was thinking one on the main floor could pull warm air down to the DLB. ?? If I could find a reversible one I might be able to pull that cool air up in the summer. Any thoughts?

oregonandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Fans are not going to help. You need to go through and seal any drafts around windows, doors, outlets, light switches, insulate, and also use storm windows.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

is the basement on a seperate stat or going off that toasty first level area.might want to zone the basement with a stat and call away from the first floor. you'll have to zone the first also so you don't heat it when basement running.if your working one stat for the entire house that stove is satisfying the stat not even sensing the basement...i'm taking you have hot water baseboard the duct thing is an idea but you need to pull the air from the conditioned space (supply)and remove the air from the unconditioned one(return) is the basement a family room insulated and with TV and a den/man cave thing goin'...on
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonandre View Post
We have a 1500 sq ft three level house in Oregon that is challenging to heat and cool. There is a daylight basement that is always cool to cold even with baseboard heaters. The first floor does fine most of the year and we have a wood stove that gets it really toasty. Theres also a loft that we use as a family room but gets really hot in the summer. Does anyone have advice on heat transfer fans. ( Tjernkund has one called a level to level transfer) I was thinking one on the main floor could pull warm air down to the DLB. ?? If I could find a reversible one I might be able to pull that cool air up in the summer. Any thoughts?
It would appear to me that your current system is under sized for you dwelling, have you had it analyzed by a qualified heating contractor? We have computer based programs that can tell us what size equipment is proper for your house. Another scenario is that the current equipment is not operating properly, or things are so dirty that they have become plugged. You may have two stages of heat and cool, and you only utilizing 1 stage......so many things could be going on.......
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the replys and happy new year BTW.

Biggles - not getting the Jargon. ( just realized this is more for pros: maybe ill move post)

Agree on the storm windows and sealing drafts. But wouldnt you agree that the main source of cold is the concrete slab. (Laminate flooring on top..cold)

The DLB has two rooms and a laundry room. The two bedrooms have electric base board heaters that heat the rooms alright. The rest of it (about 300 sq ft) doesnt have heat and is cold. its right below the wood stove on our main floor.

Heres a link to the fan I was talking about.

http://tjernlund.com/airshare_ventilation.htm
oregonandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,340

Yes the slab can radiate cold. There are a couple of ways of insulating the floor from the space, just have to pick your poison.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

insulation and placement of unit. return air vents, especially on the third floor.